muzzleloader bullets

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by MUDCAT77, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MUDCAT77

MUDCAT77 New Member

State:
    WV
    has anyone ever shot t/c cheap shot sabots they are a all lead hollow point bullet. you get 20 bullets for $5.50. But dont know if they will be any good to hunt with or just a practice round

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never hunted with them myself. But I will say one thing if you are going to practice with them, then you gotta hunt with em. I personally swtiched bullets last year same grain same type of bullet and they didnt shoot the same. No where close. So I will only shoot the exact same bullet everytime. JMO tho. Good luck.

3. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Agreed

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I haven't used them on game, but on another forum I belong to, there are many people who use them every year with stellar results, in loads from 70-125 grains of powder. I respect those people enough to feel comfortable using them on game. :wink:

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I like the idea of cheaper. I just bought some powerbelts, and they was over a buck apiece. I am finding it unacceptable to pay that much. I have been reading where guys are going back to the musket balls and doing very well with them, and at a lower price. I have bought some, and I'm going to try them out and see for myself. Good forum keep the ideas coming. Later Andy

6. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    I like the powerbelt bullets myself. I know they are a little pricy but they have amazing knock down power, very accurate and it only takes one shot. I still have a pack that I bought 2 years ago. The biggest advantage is that they load much eaiser than any other that I have seen or tried.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I hunted with round balls out of a Hawken for years and never really had a problem with them. I switched to a Ruger in-line a few years ago because they changed the seasons and the rut now falls during muzzle loader season. I was shooting all lead sabots for the first few years, until a BOC brother schooled me on the Power Belts. That is all I use in the Ruger now, but I still make my own Maxies and round balls for after the rut or after my buck falls.

8. MUDCAT77

MUDCAT77 New Member

State:
    WV
    well just got back from hunting i used the cheap shot sabots killed a doe about 60 yards droped dead made monster exit hole i think i have found me a new bullet to shoot

9. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The cheap shots do work well! The expansion is unreal! They transfer alot of shock to the animal,for clean kills. T/C designed these for zeroing in your rifle ,to save a little money on jacketed bullets (supposed to have the same POI,as a HP jacketed bullet). Pure lead bullets are lethal,expansion/shock,is second to none. They create a huge wound channel. My wife has used them the last 2 years,in her Knight wolverine,with great results.She allways shot a Hornady 300gr. XTP 44cal pistol/rifle bullet,before. They work as well,or better than the jacketed bullets.

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yes they work well they are the same bullet as the xtp except the jacket

11. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I wouldnt be scared to use the Cheap Shots out to a 100 yards anyhow. Ive used them on occasion. I use alot of patched roundballs now. Full bore conicals work good too.