Muzzle Loaders : Smoke Poles - Flint Locks - Powder horns - Primitive Hunting

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Thomas P. Conley, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I've shot smoke poles for years mostly flintlocks and have a special place in my heart for this type of rifle. I even went to the extreme and dressed as a Mnt. Man, making all my own gear ie; possible bags, shot bags, powder horns, knives, canteens, lanterns, clothing, moc's, tent, and many more items.
    So if anyone out there is interested in this sport let's shine a few tall tales.

2. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    I've also shot cap lock muzzle loaders but never the newer muzzle loaders like the knight rifles etc. I have though been on many hunts for Deer and Turkey. Why I've even been to a (which is illegal now) a live turkey shoot.
    A wooden box is made with a hole only big enough for the turkey to stick his head out and logs placed in front of it (to keep from shooting up the box). One gobbles and the turkey sticks its head up and at 50 to 75 paces were as you take a shot at the turkey. If you hit the turkey you win him and someone else cleans him for you along with a small cash pot. It sure is lots of fun with 10 to 20 shooter involved. But now with all the bleeding hearts around one can't do this any more. Like the turkey really cares and has equal rights. Yea right, I don't think so.

3. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    So how many use Muzzle Loaders to hunt with and what type of weapon do you use? I use a Lyman Trade Rifle in a flintlock 50 cal, 490 ball, 90 grain f-2 powder and a f-4 powder in the pan..

4. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i use the newer muzzleloaders i have a traditions 50 cal with a 245grain sabot and triple seven powder

5. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds like fun to me can I get some of those patterns to make my own gear. Sure would like some deer skin pants and a jacket, and my hats off to you using a flintlock everyone I know has moved to inline. I currently have a Knight extreme 50. But want to invest in some others also.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That mountain man stuff sounds like a blast, I always wanted to do that!

7. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    It is a blast shooting a flintlock and for some brings much joy but, you learn real soon to keep your powder dry. Patterns can be bought at muzzle loading sites. There are many mountain man clubs around the nation that one can join and from other members you can learn many skills of old. Why some clubs even use horses and pack into a distant area for a hunt sleeping in period shelters.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My hats off to ya for the primitive hunting. I wish they would define the word better. With that being said I shoot a cva hunterbolt 150. I switched between pyrodex pellets to pyrodex rs powder. I use the 209 shotgun primers and besides loading it, its not primitive at all. I took a doe with it this year at about 45 yards. Ive been looking into getting a flintlock just to make it harder to hunt if I want to.

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    Man im telling ya the only thing better then shooting smoke poles to me is shooting recurves and long bows....i love it.them early crisp mornings you got the deer coming in you pull back the hammer "crack BOOM" the woods fills with smoke and through the smoke you can make out the deer running then it falls over.dont get much better.....ive always held a special place in my heart for the "smoke" id dont think i could ever use smokeless powder{unless its an inline ;) } it just wouldnt feel like im shooting a muzzel loader.I have a few smoke poles but my favorite is the T/C tree hawk .54 cal,i also have one of them "kit" guns that comes with everything you need to build it yourself,its a .45 cal and this thing is longer then i am tall,ive taken many deer with it and get much joy out of shooting it. and i also have a couple pistols that i have never shot and a T/C encore but i rarley take use the muzzle loader bbl i rarely take the 12ga bbl off it.

10. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Yes shooting muzzle loaders is a blast. I use to belong to a large black powder club which owned over 1000 acres and we had many different ranges to shoot at. Reenactment's were a good time when we would visit other clubs property and shoot both rifles and bull. Unfortunately I moved to a different state but muzzle loaders still run in my blood. I also shoot longbows where I make my own wooden arrows. I have 3 longbows in 40#, 52#, 67# the latter two are custom made for me by bowyers.

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Going to buy the Cabela's "sportsterized" Hawkens after Christmas, .54 cal.

Had an Encore but never really got attached to it(butt ugly IMO). Looking foward to patched balls, iron sights and Goex!! A friend of mine is big into the rendezous so I'm sure I'll end up in his Tepee before long.

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I'm retiring my T/C Hawken. It's a .50 cal I built from a kit in 1992. Been a great hunting rifle. It's still in pretty good shape for as old as it is. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I'm giving it a good cleaning now and polishing all the brass furniture up till is sparkles. Then it's going on the wall. I also have a T/C White Mountain Carbine that's going the same route. This one was a friend's rifle. He paid a pretty penny for it and let it go really bad. Barrel is rusted inside from him leaving a bullet and pyrodex inside for about 4 years. It was a really nice little rifle, very accurate too. But it's gonna find a spot on the wall as well. My old Hawken did a great job for me, but I've found I like the bolt action muzzle loader better for my purposes these days.

13. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Whistler, Yes some memories are hard to put up. I also have a old rifle a friend gave me from the early 40's which I value because it brings back memories of my dear friend and the many hunts we went on.
    Ahh! Sleeping in a tepi, now that brings back some good times. Sitting around the central fire cooking up some deer meat, or elk, tipping back a few brews, and mostly talking with good friends, telling tall tales, laughing and remembering our friendships.