muzzle loader, clean or shot

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by CountryHart, Dec 2, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorta dumb question prolly, but do ya'll hunt with a clean barrel or prefer a shot or two thru it first. I won't hunt with a clean rifle barrel( mod. gun). I curious if i should or shouldn't clean this thing after i get it zeroed back in.

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have been shooting sabot bullets and they say to clean after each shot. But, what if you need a backup shot in the field? Not very pratical.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Always clean,the dirtier it is,the more it will shoot off from where you had it zeroed,your shots will be kind of here and there.So you want it clean as possible.And remember the first shot or cold barrel shot is the most important because your barrel is going to be cold when you take your shot,so it will shoot different after you have shot it a few times while sighting in cause your barrel will get hot,so you may want to let it cool off some after a few shots and then go back at it.Oh and dont forget to run a dry patch down the barrel after about 3 shots while sighting in to keep from the fouling and gunk from messing up your shots.Well hope this helps.
    james

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I prefer a a dirty barrel to a clean one ..Dirty being a few round's threw it no more than 5 at most ..It work's for me so why change:wink:

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I prefer a once shot barrel. Reason is when i set my sights or scope I shoot 3 shot groups. I use that to adjust by so 2 of the shots came from a dirty barrel. The next 3 shot group all come from a dirty barrel. For this reason I always shoot one shot before loading up to go in the woods the first day of season. been doing it this way for 30+ years. Hope This Helps.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im a little dirrerent i clean mine real good then shoot it.i clean it let it cool and shoot again that way i know that my first shot is going to hit where its sighted in cold.no need for second shot.

7. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have trouble with fliers coming out of a clean barrel with a modern rifle.
    I check my scope at the beginning of the season and my barrel is not cleaned
    until after the season is over unless it gets very wet. The only cleaning my
    rifle gets is a wipe down. With my muzzle loader I worry about oil and solvent
    making my powder wet. I will load a powder charge and put a small wad of paper towel in the barrel and tamp with my ram rod (no ball) and shoot. This
    will burn out any oils in the barrel. I then reload for the hunt. I will not clean
    the muzzle loader until I am through hunting. Be it a day trip or a week trip.
    In answer to the question I do not hunt with any rifle with a clean barrel.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    If I had any reps to give I would give them. Great answer

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
  10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I shot this piece of scrap iron yesterday tryin to get it zeroed, and it won't cock when i bolt it.:confused2: Monday it gets shipped back to CVA and they can figure it out or replace it. I'm tired of jackin with it and will wait till next weekend and drive up north and hunt the antlerless portion of modern gun. At least when i squeese the trigger on my 270, it's GONNA go off.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John
    Mine shoots round balls better than any thing else. I tried sabot and bullet with 70 to110 grn. of black powder and pyredex. I tried Great Plains bullets with 70 to 90 grn. of the two as well. Finally gave in to shooting round balls. I have since converted it to a 209 primer system. I have not tried the other bullets in it but will . I have a CVA Plainsman side lock that will out shoot it hands down. @100yds. the old Plainsman will shoot 3 or 4" groups all day long. The Hunter will do good to keep them in a foot circle. Let me know wwhat CVA does for you.:wink: The Hunter is not the quality of gun that CVA is normally known for.

12. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I have always cleaned after every shot at the range and in the field. That's how I sighted it in so that's how I hunt with it.