Mustad Hooks--quality = price?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by DWB, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well with the winter itch upon me I have been doing some terminal tackle searching. I plan to tie up a bunch of leader/hook rigs of various lengths/hooks style size.

By far my most common hook I use is the Gamma 8/0 & 10/0 oct circle. I like these hooks and trust them but am always open to new options.

One of my gripes about the gammas is that they are hard to come by in any volume (I prefer to by in bulk lots).

Well I was looking through one of my favorite terminal tackle sites to pick up some more heavy duty swivels and snaps in bulk and came across their hook section. Out of respect to the BOC sponsors I won't post the website (pm me if you are interested). But the hook offers they had caught my eye.

100 count Boxes Mustad Tinned Tuna Circle Hooks ran:

8/0--14.52
    9/0--18.56
    10/0--20.82
    11/0--23.08
    12/0--25.74
    13/0--28.19

Anyone have any experience with these hooks? Are they comparable in quality to the gammas? Is the price as good as I am thinking?

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Dan, I use Mustad Octopus hooks sometimes. They are about identical to the gamas, except for one thing. Sharpness. They are no where as near as sharp as a gama. I usally will touch em up with a hook sharpener before I use them. Now, circle hooks, I know nothing about the Mustads. They might be fine.:wink:

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Stay with the Gamas for the big fish, an hard to beat the Team Catfish Double Action Circles when your after the numbers. Both great hooks. Personally, I don't care for the mustads.

4. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I'm with Cuz...don't care for em either.....

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with John on this.

6. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gary mentioned that they were lacking in sharpness. Is that the big drawback, or are they weaker too? As far as shape they appear to be the same shape as the gama octos

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    It's a lower Grade alloy metal, and like Grump said they Are not as sharp. Sure you can hit em with a file and get em razor sharp but they are now brittle and will break on ya. Honestly can't go wrong with Gama Octupus hooks. I hit em two licks with a file and those babies are sharp!! The double action circle hooks work great too, but I found it's best to take two pairs of pliars an put a 10 degree offset in them for your best results. Bottom line is match your hook to you gear. For instance, circle hooks with a stiff rod and braided line isn't a real good combination in my humble opinion. Circle hooks work on leverage, so you need some give in your setup somewhere. That an circle hooks don't work well on a soft and subtle bite like in the winter time. They work great in the summer when fish are bringing the groceries home lol the gamas work great on stiff rod/braided line setups

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I like to tell it to folks this way. It's ok to skimp a little bit on a rod, and skimp a little bit on a reel, but NEVER skimp on your line, and your terminal tackle. It's what connects you to the fish. Here's what has served me well for the last 11 years. Gamakatsu 9 an 10 ott octopus hooks, team catfish 8 ott double action circle hooks, Spro #2 barrel swivels, an Ande monofilament shock leader. I run braided line and have switched from Power Pro to Tug Of War Braid. This setup and rigging has proved to give me the highest hook up percentage. Bottom line is find out what works for you, and stick with it. If your not hooking 85 to 90 percent of your takedowns something isn't right.

9. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for the great info Nanner, that is why this place is great, everyone is willing to help a guy out with about anything. Cant wait for wheeler.

10. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ditto...except for the Wheeler part. I have gotta work that weekend unfortunately. Sounds like a blast though!

11. hook'em

hook'em New Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    If you're within reasonable distance to a bass pro you may swing by there and take a look at those hooks before you buy them in bulk. I think they sell them in boxes of 25. If those are the ones I think they are (39960's), I didn't like them because of the wire thickness. They were really heavy and as already mentioned the sharpness leaves alot to be desired. The Eagle Claw brand for that same hook is even worse....

Judging by the prices you posted, I would say that I do business with the same folks. Be aware they charge a 15% restock fee so make sure they are what you want.

hook'em

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  12. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    DWB,
    I have a box of the 13/0 I bought and wouldn't attempt to use them. If anyone wants a pack they can have them! The wire diameter is huge and the gap is super small. Overall the 13/0 is smaller than the Gama 10/0 octopus. With circles especially, you have to look at the hook gap. Tuna have a very thin jaw bone. Catfish have a very large jaw bone and most won't even come close to going around them. I know circles are "supposed to" hook in the side of the mouth but thats not 100% true. I know if I am fishing in the river in heavy current I want the hook around the jaw bone. I have had them pull through the skin in the corner of the mouth before and it sucks!

My $.02
    Give me the Gama octopus hooks in 10/0 and the Team Catfish double actions and I'm good. I do wish Team Catfish would come out with the double actions in larger sizes up to 20/0 size. The 8/0 is a little small but works great when your not in a bunch of current. When your in hard current, stay with the octopus hooks. You hook up rate will be MUUUCCCCHHHH higher. Circles can't get the rotation/angle they need in heavy current to work correctly. They were designed to be fished straight down. JMHO for what it's worth.

13. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the information. I had noticed the small gap but just reasoned that tuna get bigger than blues so the hooks must be OK for blues. Had never given thought to jawbone size...but that makes a lot on sense.

Thanks guys for saving me the work/money/time of trying out a new hook...not to mention 100 junky hooks lying around the house. The last thing we need is more fishing junk lying around the house...just ask my wife! :Happy:

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Swamp speaks words of wisdom. Just a tidbit of info, Jeff Williams of Team Catfish o's currently working on designing a much larger version of his double action circle hook. He accomplishes this an he'll have a monster product on his hands. The ONLY drawback of his hooks right now is they aren't big enough for going after large fish.Just like Swamp said, it won't fit around the jawbone of the big fish. He's working on it. If there's anybody out there that will come out with the perfect hook, it will be Jeff.

15. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    You can not go wrong with Mustad hooks period. I use Gamakatsu and Mustad and have never had any problems with hook ups with them Saltwater or Freshwater. The only hooks I have ever had any problems with are Daiichi (team catfish), had a ten pound channel break the hook mid shaft. Just my honest opinion

16. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    ill take those hooks of your hands swamp if you dont want them i can use them for lake fishing

17. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Jimmy,
    You are welcome to them. I think you would be wasting your time with them though. See the picture below.

Greg,
    I havn't seen this problem with the team catfish hooks. We have caught dozens of fish from 50-80 pounds on them and have never had one fail. Don't doubt what you are saying as any hook can have a flaw in the metal.
    My point with my post wasn't to "dog" any hook manufacturer, it was to explain what works in the conditions we fish here.
    We fish HEAVY current at times (16-32oz.) and circle hooks can't get the rotation to hook correctly. Think about it like this. When anchor fishing in this kind of current the fish is Always facing you when it takes the bait. In this kind of current with the line tight it can't grab the bait and turn at a sharp enough angle to get the circles to rotate all the time. This is when the octopus hooks really work well.

Here is a picture of some of the hooks we have talked about.
    Top left-Team catfish 8/0 with a quarter inside
    Top right- Mustad TUNA 14/0 with a dime inside
    Bottom left- Gama 12/0 big river with a quarter inside
    Bottom right- Gama 10/0 octopus with a quarter inside

Notice the size of the gaps on these hooks. The Mustad tuna has an extremely small gap. A dime won't even go through the gap. Some of the other mustad models may be larger but these are way to small in my opinion. I would probably use the 12/0 and 10/0 Gama big river hooks over the Gama octopus if it weren't for the cost difference and the amount of them we go through. They are a couple bucks each! ouch! Overall the Gama octopus and team catfish work the best for what we do. JMHO

!cid_ABA9C168-CC9D-46CF-B718-1A8756E5BFFE.jpg

18. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I am just relaying my experiences here, I have fished the Miss and Missouri with Mustads and never had problems. I have trolled for marlin and tuna using mustad circles and never missed a hook up with them. As for the Team Catfish hooks, I gave them to my nephew who promptly threw them away after having the same thing happen.I am 100% positive that I will not be buying anymore team catfish hooks again.

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hmmm. I swear by the Team Catfish hooks. Never had the slightest problem out of them, or my gamas for that matter.

20. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    I use Gamakatsu and Mustad Hooks and have never had any problems with hook ups. The Team Catfish hooks rule but hard to get unless you order them online. Either way nothing satisfies me like a king size Snickers!!!