Mustad demon circles, e.c. circle sea

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by massa_jorge, May 22, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used these in the heavy, 7/0 and the light wire in 2/0. neither had that impressive of a hookup rate vs. other brands of circles. is the gap too small or what?
    also, i don't do very well at all with eagle claw circle seas, but in the eagle claw nickel black i tear em up. same exact sizes. side by side, these hooks look exactly the same. what gives?

2. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm like you. I bought some Demon Circle but I don't like the gap. I did buy some Eagle Claw Wide gap from a saltwater catalog and I think they will be a much nicer hook. I haven't tried them yet but I bought the 10/0 size. If I'm not mistaken I got them from JM Tackle. I was also looking at another Saltwater catalog today and Owner makes a wide gap circle hook also that I might order to try. I just don't like the gap on the Demon. Good luck to you.

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I also just started trying the Demon Circles and do not like them at all for live bait ( shad and sunfish) I missed 2 runs last night that I should have had no problem. 1 even pulled my 10 foot rod clear out of the holder and all I got was a scaleless sunfish with a hoorified look on its face. lol

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, the only dealing I've had with the "Demon" is pictures....I think the gap is not wide enough...At this time I favor the Octopus Circles because of the wider gap...However, I ordered some 39960's, by Mustad, that I'm going to take a closer look at when they come in....I usually use the L7228 Eagle Claw and Gamakatsu octopus circle w/inline point.....Dwight

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    Ive tried several types of circles and Ive went totally to gamagotsu octopus circles ive had the most hook up to bite ratio with these.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    doesnt seem to matter to me what brand as long as its an octopus circle they just seem to do a mutch better job over a reg. circle.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i agree with yall on the octopus circle design, i use the vmc vanadium in 4/0 and 7/0. just about get every fish that bites. i snell them, and they are offset, i think that helps. but the demons just looked too cool to pass up, then i thought the wire was too thick. i went to the light wire demons and had the same problem, even on very agressive fish.
    thanks for the feedback guys.

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I guess I would have to agree that the Gama Octapus is my favorite. However, I do use the Deamon circle and do quite well with it. I have stumbled upon a method that works for me. Nothing special about the method. I don't know if you guys remember SiFi or not. He was a circle hook user and probably the first promoter of circles on this site. When I was trying to learn how to catch fish with circle hooks, SiFi emailed me with some tips. I followed his advise and have never looked back. All I do is cast out, set the clickers on my reels, place the rods in holders and wait for a run. Once the run starts, I engage the reel BEFORE picking it up. This is all I do to set the hook. I just pick up the rod after the reel is engauged and start fighting the fish. I probably get over 90% hook ups with this method. Before I started using it and trying to just ease back on the rod, I probably didn't hook up 50% of my runs. I will forever be greatful to SiFi for taking the time to teach this rookie how to properly use circle hooks.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, I got my mustad 8/0 circles in from Catfish Connection, and their about the size of a 1/0 eagle claw.....It's not the "Demon" hook, it's the "Duritan"....I called the lady at CC and that's when I found out that the different companies size the hooks different.....What a deal.....Dwight

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I emailed Mustad about the size of the hooks....Let's see what the deal is.... I took one of my 4/0 Eagle Claw L7228's and put it side by side with the 8/0 Mustad 39960D and the Mustad looked like a 1/0 compared to the L7228....Personally, I think the hooks have been "mislabled"....But the lady at CC says they weren't....CC have the actual size on the order page, and the 8/0 matched perfectly....If Mustad reply's to my email, I let you guys know what the deal is.....Hope this helps....Dwight

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey terry scifi was one awesome guy, i miss talking with him on here.

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Sorry to bring this thread from the dead but after giving these hooks a honest try for the past year I would suggest everyone to find another hook.

Mustad has some quality hooks but these sure arnt for us catfisherman.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I don't like the Demon either, I don't like the narrow gap.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    jerry and kevin, i have given up on these damn things, i think yall are right. might be good tuna hook though, i'll just wait for the next tuna migration to come through the texas panhandle....