Mustad 39960D Circle Hooks 8/0

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by DemolitionMan, Jun 22, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I bought a pack of these hooks from Catfish Connection and when they came in they were about the size of #1's or 1/0's....I called the lady at catfish connection and she said that there wasn't a "universial" hook size among hook manufactor's.....Has anyone else had any experience with these particular hooks?????Was an 8/0 hook on the "small" size for an 8/0?????Dwight

2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I have my Catfish Connection cataloge beside me and those do look small. If you have their book the pictures are life size of the hooks. My hooks and their pics match exactly

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info...Yeah, I got a CC catalog.....But it's a shame an Eagle Claw 8/0 is not the same size as a Mustad 8/0....I emailed the Mustad people asking why, but of course, I haven't heard from them in a wk or two.....Dwight

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Dwight, Mustad makes good hooks if you buy Ultra Points. They also make that goofy arrangement of tuna hooks that aren't quite what you want. The wire is too thick and the gap is small, etc. Try some ultra point circles, I don't think they can dissappoint.

5. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The Mustad Demons are probably the smallest, by size, of circle hooks. A couple of years ago somebody on here took the time to photograph a bunch of different size circles from different manufacturers and posted them on here. That would sure help you out right now. I wouldn't know where to begin looking for it though.

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I did recieve an email from John from Mustad and he said he would send me a pack of 8/0 circles to gage the other hooks by...He said that sometimes the hooks get "labled" wrong....Dwight

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I haven't heard a word from the Mustad people about the 8/0 hooks....I emailed them again yesterday....Maybe that will speed them up....Dwight

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
  9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the link....I just got an email from Bob at Mustad....He's got the hooks ordered to be shipped as soon as possible....So, he's working on it....That makes me feel better.....

drux,

Thanks again for the link....Dwight

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They ain;t changed their mind.I remember a man coming to fish Lake Marion S.C."Santee"as we knew it for Striped Bass or "Rock fish" as we called them in the 50's.He wrote fishing articles for a magazine."Field and Stream" I believe.Anyway he "gave a talk"as we called it and answered all kinds of questions.I remember one such was about hook sizes being different according to who made them.He said that they had been urged to come up with a uniform method of sizing hooks.The manufactures reasoning was that "they were not going to the expense of retooling to meet someone else's hook dimensions"."If the rest wished to retool to meet their dimensions,nothing was stopping them and they had no objections"."It could only be a general sizing as they were not going to change their designs"."To put it bluntly no manufacture was interested".We would still be in the same shape with nuts and bolts if the U.S.Government had not stepped in.All old vehicles and farming equipment came with wrenches to fit there equipment."Monkey" and "Crescent" wrenches were the only wrenches that fit all.You still needed a wrench with 32's on it to take off a Ford Granada bumper when they came along.John of Catfish Connection was the one to tell me that their hook sizes in their catalog were actual size.If you have one.Treasure it!It is well worth ordering one for this.It will save you money as you can see the actual hook size before your order.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i tried 4 times to order from catfish connections but their system wouldnt take my paypal acc.so i ordered from some one else bad move. its been 15 days and according to the tracking my package is still at their place waiting for the mailman to pick it up.funny thing it only took 5 min.to get an email thanking me for my money.