Must See Kansas?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by arkrivercatman, Jan 11, 2010.

1. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Well, I was thinkin about some of the neat, off the beaten path, type of things there are to see and do in KS and I thought I ask you guys what you think is worth a visit.:question:
    I plan to travel around the state fishin as much as possible this year and I like to see the interesting, old and odd things that KS has to offer.
    We've found some pretty cool things just crusin the backroads and county roads.
    Whats in your neck of the woods thats worth stoppin to take a look at? It could be anything, restaurant, bridges, buildings, mills, museums, haunted houses, etc. Post pics if you have some.
    Here is one of the oldest stone arch bridges still standing in KS, built in 1886. Its spans the Cottonwood River, near the ghost town of Clements, KS. Its an awesome site to see.
    The second pic is of the Old Oxford Mill im Oxford.It was built in the mid 1870s. I used to fish the dam that diverted the water to this mill all of the time as a kid.
    The third pic is of the Keeper of the Plains that sits at the confluence of the Big and Little Arkansas Rivers. Used to fish there as a kid too, but now they redone it and dont allow fishin anymore.:at-wits-end:

Attached Files:

2. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS

3. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have been wanting to stop and see that bridge since I moved out here. They don't allow fishing by the keeper now! That is were my dad use to take me when I was little. Thanks for sharen the pics.Kyle.

4. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    My choices may not be fishing or river related. But still well worth stoping to see.

5. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Nope. They have it under 24 hour surveillance, and they use loud speakers to run you off.:crying::mad-tongue:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  6. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
  7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Thanks! They dont have to be fishin/river related. Just something interesting and worth a visit.:wink:

8. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    You might remember this Chris. I used to squeeze through the fence and climb up the Keeper. Maybe thats why they dont let you fish there anymore.:shock::rotfl:

Attached Files:

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    What is so bad about fishing and fishermen that they won't allow folks to fish the confluence of
    two major rivers? That's a prime spot to fish. Must be a PETA conspiracy....

10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Im not really sure. Probably dont want the area trashed, which would happen the way people are around here.
    In 2006 they redone the area and built two bridges over the rivers and made it into a museum kind of. There is the Indian Center right there and there are exhibits depicting the life of the Indians. Its neat, but Id rather fish it. :biggrin:
    They even light it up when the weather is right.:cloudy:
    [youtubevid]PLl1Ofes6t4[/youtubevid]

Attached Files:

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    That does bring back memory's. Landed some nice channels there.

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Its all Gods country around Cedar Vale, lots of great scenery. The best way to enjoy it is going down the Caney River, wink wink.

13. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Used to fish there at the keeper back in the 60"s and early 70"s, caught a nice flat there, used to catch some type of shad there on jigs, I think i got a bite on everyone i ever caught. damm shame we can't fish anywhere downtown anymore. Used to fish the dam by the tennis courts also

14. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great thread idea and pics Kyle! I love KS and all it has to offer. There is a pretty neat place heading N on Prarie St. out of Emporia. It is the Neosho River dam. It's pretty close to town, but it is still neat to see. The Cottonwood River is on the S side of Emporia. There is a dam there and an old bridge. There is a WW2 tank and a helicopter (not sure which era it is from) to see there.

There are some very cool places to visit around Alma (where Chris and I live). I don't wish to disclose my favorite fishing holes publicly, but I'd be happy to tell you of a few spots through pms OR better yet, you could just plan to fish w/ Chris and I some weekend and I'll show you in person. Lots of history in Wabaunsee county and creeks at the bottom of all of these beautiful Flint Hills. With so much water around here, there are some bridges from every decade of the century. Mill Creek runs nearby also. It is considered the most protected water in the state by the KDHE because of it's cleanliness. There just aren't many towns dumping their run-off into it and there are more cow pastures along it than there are grainfields.

15. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    We'll do it. I enjoy seeing new places, especially when they are fishin places.lol
    Thanks for the replies.

16. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Not fishing, but great Mule deer hunting! You haven't seen Kansas till you go north of St. Francis.

Go to kansas sampler.org-8 wonders of Kansas. Can't figure out how to put a link on this new site, or I would!

17. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I agree with Caney river.The area around Hewins and Elgin is so pretty it doesn't matter if fish are biting or not.

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Mill Creek good luck finding a flathead or catfish in that creek. :lying:

19. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You're right, but at least we can practice casting. If needed, we can fish where Mill Creek dumps into dumps into the Kaw. I can get permission to fish the E side of that confluence. DSAGE, do ya' think there are any cats in the Kaw?

20. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Head to Glenn Elder for some good Flathead fishing below the spillway. When you are done make sure you stop by Cawker City and see the worlds largest ball of twine.