mussle meats

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by easy fisher, Aug 6, 2009.

1. easy fisher

easy fisher New Member

State:
    tennesee
    An old man told me that fresh mussle meat was the key for big blues:confused2:

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've never used mussel meat but I can imagine that it would also be an oustanding bait for channels, and possibly flatheads if very fresh.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ....oh, welcome to the BOC Andy....... this is a great site with a bunch of great people.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have heard that myself Andy. Never got ot try it. Welcome to the BOC.

5. easy fisher

easy fisher New Member

State:
    tennesee
    appreciate the welcomes :big_smile: thanks for the replies:wink:

6. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you do ever use it just make sure you can Identify the
    kind it is. There are some endagered ones that would be
    a big no no to use. No one needs to go home with a big
    fine after a day of fishing.
    Let us know if it works for ya.

7. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have never use mussle meat, sounds good though.

Just one problem, here in West Virginia it is illegal to take any shell fish, they are all endangered here.

Might go to the store and get some cheap shell fish though. Never thought of that.

Anyone else try that?

8. tarheelbluemark

tarheelbluemark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would guess it would work well. Most of the blues that I have filleted have been full of fresh water mussels.:smile2:

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have used mussle meat for catfish bait years ago. And yes I had good luck with it. Caught several channels on it never have used it in water where blues were present though.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yes they work very well,ill use them anytime i can get my hands on them.

11. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    way back when i was a youngster i found a mussel in a lake while swimming and broke it open and used it for bait,caught a 31" channel been wanting to try them now but a little spendy

12. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    I use the mussel for bait a lot,but its hard to beat shad:big_smile:

13. kingofsand21

kingofsand21 New Member

State:
    MD
    Thats funny I was steaming mussles 2 days ago for dinner for the first time. I pulled about ten aside to try them for bait tomorrow just on a whim but this is the first time I have heard anything about them. But they do have a fairly strong scent. I'll let everyone know how i do.

14. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Down at my dads we find them all summer long. I have went through as many as 10 to 20 in one trip and slammed some big channels and an ocational blue. But like katfish ken said, never have used it in water where blues were present though. But I would bet luck would be on your side if the time and placment was right.

15. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas

Oh yeah, mussle meat is a killer bait for blues and channels. I used to use it a lot. I don't have access to them now or I would still be using it. Just hook it through the tough part. Man, now I want some mussle meat. :sad2:
    It's a long drive but you got me jones'in now. :big_smile:

16. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    They work great for Blues here in Okla. but are hard to find. They were over harvested in the late '70s and early '80s and have not recovered yet. It is illegal to use some species here.

17. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    migh thave to try that sometime should work well

18. Shad gut

Shad gut New Member

State:
    illinois
    They work well on channels

19. Mr. Joe Catfish

Mr. Joe Catfish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've used them quite a bit here on the Mississippi on trot lines. They are especially good when fish on a clam bed as the cats are there for the clams. As was pointed out above, some kinds of clams are endangered. Pobably the best one here is a large clam called the "giant floater" as they are plentyful and large enough to bait alot of hooks. The big ones can get over 7 inches long. They have a very thin shell which is why there are so many. The thin shell made them useless to the clam harvesters so while the other kinds were depleted, the floaters were left. They are called floaters because when they die and start to decay, they gas up and float to the top. In late July and August when the river gets hot, you can find them floating everywhere. If you've got the stomach for it these rotten clams are fantastic bait!!! But they have the nastyest sulpher stench you've ever smelled. My wife won't let me in the house after handling them.

Good luck and God Bless!!!