mussels

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by onlyriverfish, Sep 4, 2006.

1. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Anyone seen where (structure type) on the missouri mussels are found? Do they (mussels) like the sand or mud flats best?
    What depth 4-6ft?
    Moderate current? Slow?

What type have you seen if you do see them?

Trying to learn little more about them in our river.

Thanks for any input.

2. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    When I was a kid I remember seeing a lot of mussels including some fairly large ones, but I haven't seen, or least noticed any in several years now. As best as I remember, mostly on smaller rivers, shallow, gradual slope, bottom of mixed gravel and silt, I think from 25% to 85% silt. I know they are in the Mo. I see where coons leave empty shells all the time, but I haven't paid much attention to look for them in the water. I don't see nearly as many large shells as I did 25-30 years ago. Missouri now limits the number of mussels one can take to 5 per day.

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Think it was ACAT artical where someone said in big rivers they are on mud flats. I dont know, but will prob. find out soon as do plan to pay closer attention.
    If that were true then maybe mud flat next to deep water might be key at certain times(?).

4. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Just anyother thing to gain some learning of while out there for future reference when water is low. Been seeing some at mud banks at ends of runs this year.