Mussels

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by catfishken, Jul 7, 2009.

1. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    i went to the store today and picked up some fresh mussels out of the seafood section i was just wondering if anyone has ever used these with any luck i also got some raw shrimp and review on either of these would be great thanks

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    mussels work great i just go along the bank and get them.just make sure there legal,some are protected and will get ya in trouble if you caught with them.So make sure you know which ones are what.

4. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i fish on a clam bed and the clams there work very good,so i would think that store bought ones would work also,but why pay for them when they are free.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenneth soak your shrimp in garlic for a couple of days and go catch the fish. Mussels are good bait but as other have stated, pay attentions to your state laws.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Theres times thats all they eat here. Blues love mussel shell beds. And feed on them most of the time. Here just about every good fishing spot is on a mussel bed or near one. Also if its a bigger piece of meat cut in half as the best part is in the center.
    Also if all the above fails. Go with the best bait you can get in a store. chicken. Yes buy some boneless skinless chicken that there about to throw away.:wink:
    One of the best catfish baits in the stores..
    Cut it into chunks. Or for big fish rip it into long pieces I use pieces about 1" wide and 4 to 6" long for bigger fish.
    Pete