mussel fossils we found today

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BigOBear, Sep 27, 2008.

1. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Our lake is 15-20 feet low. We went down today to throw a bait trap in and walk along the shore of the river that feeds it. Look at the fossils we found. Some pretty big mussels and some shell fossils that look like the ones you find at the beach. Kids had a blast :smile2:

http://picasaweb.google.com/BigOBear/2008MedinaLakeFossils#

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those are cool! Thanks for the pics. :cool2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jimmy,Those are cool,I used to have a bunch I found near Alexander TX,You find all sorts of stuff when you are a backhoe operator:wink:
    I have quite a collection of stuff from bottles and other things to fossils.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great find, it is always cool to stumble accross something like that

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Pretty cool stuff , thanks for sharing.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice specimens Jimmy. Kind of a hobby of mine too. Amazing what you can find if ya just look.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm a rock hound and fossil lover too. NICE finds, Jimmy! Y'all ever pick up any arrowheads?
    Bill in SC

8. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    very few arrowheads. Not as many as when I was a youngster

9. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Very cool specimens! give one to your local science teacher! :wink:

I had a student whose dad was a programmer for a company and went all over the world. He had come to see me at Parent teacher and told me he was on the way to the OPEC nations, and asked me what I wanted him to bring me back.

I said a rock. He came back and said GIRL, I like to NEVER found this ROCK!!! LOLOL. (Something I never thought about when I asked him to bring it) I was trying to think of something that wouldn't cost anything and he could get through customs with no problem.

Anyway...this guy, for the duration of his children's high school career, brought me rocks from all over the world, which I have labelled as to where they come from. The coolest one I got was one out of a midievel street in Austria. The son had gone that time and Wes was his name, told me "Mrs. Fisher I thought I was gonna get ARRESTED getting this for you" Said he was digging and kicking at it, and people were staring at him.

I have it at school though and it's one of the most impressive things I have recieved as a gift to date and it didn't cost anyone a dime.

We used to find arrowheads in Central Arkansas alot and I know a kid up here that found a cave that is exposed only during extremely low water times and he literally picked the arrowheads out of the strata when the water went down. He moved and didn't tell me where it was, Gosh I wish I knew!

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Neat find and thanks for the pictures Jimmy!

For years we lived out in west TX in the area of the Permian Basin. There was a local Caliche pit that we used for target practice that had a lot of stuff like that.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That is cool ! ......Interesting too ..have you and yer kids researched any historey on them????

12. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    There's some good stuff out there. If you go out west, Amistad has lots of them, too. We were up the Devil's River and I came across a rock with a hole in it that looked good for the aquarium. Saw some just like it in a museum later. Took it in and the guy said it was an OLD Native American net weight.

13. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Very neat all of it!

Not yet Mr. Kenny. We found some more this morning... getting them uploaded to the net. Found two that are those spiral shells!

14. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
  15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks for the pics Jimmy i hate that your trap got gone something home made just means more to me than store bout you know it comes from the hart if its home made dont blame you id be upset over that to the kids musta did a good job for the JERK to steel it probly to lazzey or dumb to make his own

16. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Oh those spirals are really neat!

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes they are Miss Fischer:wink:
    Hey bear you find any cool stuff bout them pm me would ya I dig this stuff & its interesting too.....

18. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Those are pretty cool! Thanks for posting the pics!!

19. fishinhole

fishinhole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Now when the fish aren't Biting i can always look for something cool like that!! Were they fully exposed or did you have to do some digging to get them?:eek:oooh:

20. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Will do Kenny... if I find anything will let ya know.

They were just out on the bank below the normal water level. Was just below an outside bend in the feeder river. Just below where all the huge boulders are dumped in the floods picking through the rocks and stuff. Found most of them within a 20 foot range. The pic labled upstream here: http://picasaweb.google.com/BigOBear/LowLakeMar2007# shows where we found em. The lake is another 15 feet lower in the pics than it is now. Wonder what else we'll find if it keeps dropping :wink: :sad2: hehe