Musky Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ste6168, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hello All. I am going to try and do some musky fishing this year on the northern sections of the Allegheny River. Here in PA, musky can get up to around 50lbs (record is like 55lb i believe). What do you all suggest for a decent muskie rod, that is not all that much money? I am probably going to pair it with an Abu Ambassadeur size 5500.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Just use your best 6'6"-7' Medium/heavy catfish rod...:wink:
    Late last year, I purchased a Berkeley Tactix, Muskie rod rated to 40#, M/H. set it up with a Garcia 7000, and 50# mono,, It's a studhorse of a catfish rod...
    I don't fish for muskie's but, the specifications on the rod told me it would be a good Flatcat rod....
    And,,, so far,,, so GOOD:smile2:

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'd say whatever pole ya use for flatheads would work just fine for musky, i use my MH action poles for flattys, stripers, musky and just about anything else, all my smaller M action poles i use for bass and bait:wink:

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    check out cabelas,bass pro shops,and gander mountains websites as they sell species specific rods. some at not to bad a price. you would probably want a stiffer action than a medium heavy cat rod, some are just to limber at the top. not saying they won't work just saying a heavy action rod would be better.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I got an uglystick tiger lite heavy action paired up with a 6500. It's my new catrod. I was tossing a few lures with it today, It throws big Grandma lures, and musky size shad raps with ease.
    For lighter lures like spinners and stuff, I use my white ugly stik catfish rod with a 5500. Works good.
    Good luck.

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    bass pro has a xh musky rod that i use for drifting and bouncin. the xh is a 6' 3" graphite rod that sells for $44.95 i think. i have caught up to 55 pound blues with no problems.

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was looking at this rod in the 6'3" XH size. How do you all think it would hold up to the "fish of 10000 casts." or do you think I should go with the 7' H size? Also, do you think either of the two rods would work well to double as a catfish stick?

I don't really want to use any of my cat rods for musky, as I would be throwing lures (for musky) and I have all heavy (weight, not action) Ugly Sticks. I would be worn out after a day of fishing. Also, they are all spinning rods/reels and would like to use a baitcaster for musky.

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    They'll work fine for both muskies and cats. I'm pretty sure that the 6'3" rod is the one Fishstick was referring to as well. Which one you get depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're going to fish heavy jerkbaits and other hard baits, I'd get the shorter rod with it's heavier rating. If you're planning on throwing bucktails and other spinners, lures, etc, under 3oz or so, get the 7' rod.

I had a couple of the flipping sticks that I used for channel cats and livebaiting bass in cover and they were great. I'm thinking of getting a couple more of them, or maybe the 7ft muskie rod for a couple of reels I have now.

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Man you will not have any trouble out of the musky or the cats..with that 6'3" XH rod.. But I feel you can find one in 7' to do just as good, and be a little bit more versital for you..

10. Cuda

Cuda Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Mike I use that XH 6' 3" musky rod from bass pro from catfishing. And I have used the sane rod for northern in Canada. I have casted all day with that rod it is light but strong. I use 30# tuf line XP on them great rod for the money. I have 3 of them they hold up real well and I have caught a lot of cats with them. And you can make long casts with them too.