Muskingum River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by BG CAT, Apr 25, 2008.

1. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    I live in Columbus and fish above the Y bridge area. I catch quite a few every time I go out but no monsters. Biggest flathead caught on the river is 25lbs. Just curious about my techniques, I use live blue gill, small catfish, and gold fish for bait and fish in a 20 ft hole. Just wondering if the deep water is the best spot and if the bait I use is what others use as well?

Thanks for your help.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Sounds like you are doing something right if you "catch quite a few" each time you go out ... The big ones will come ... have patience and keep at it ..... Garry-

3. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i might scout for a new hole if i were you cause i have noticed that really big flatheads seem to be in areas by themselves, numbers dont usually go with size,

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm gonna take a slightly different approach to this. The bigger flatheads I catch each year in the warm water months don't come from the " holes" Flatheads during and after spawn become very structure oriented, and on the muskingum they seem to hang around the banks more, where most of the structure resides exposed and unexposed! That said, you don't need to fish deep nor be in deeper water to catch the better fish. Sounds to me you need to start looking at the banks more, and mark the submerged structure in the more shallow areas with the depth finder. Baitfish generally run more shallow in the warm water period, and the cats aren't far behind:wink: key word though is structure, not depth, structure! rollo

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Bryan, you are doin everything you need to do to gain experience. Your bait is correct, fishing holes is a place to start. Do like Rollo said and start trying the banks. Find places with lots of downed trees laying along the bank. We catch them in 1ft to 3ft of water, this time of year. Just keep at it, and let us know if you catch a hog this year.

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Brian, I fish the Muskingum in the same area. The big ones are there, you just need to be patient. Rollo is right about shallow bank structure, my two largest fish came from structure in less than 4 ft. of water. One was caught on a goldfish and the other on a bluegill. I mainly use both for bait.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats it Phil, give Rollo all the credit for teaching you how to fish. I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on lol.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats still a nice looking flathead, if your fishing in deep wholes and cant catch them I would be looking for some places where maybe there is some dead fish thats floating around, usually some big fish will stay places as long as there is bait.

9. capt of the Floater

capt of the Floater New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where do you guys put your boats in at, when your fishing the Muskingum? I live in Westerville just outside Columbus, and travel through Coshocton to go to my Dad's. Just wondering if anybody knows of a boat ramp? It don't have to be anything fancy, I just have a 14' John boat, and a 4x4.

10. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    riverside park in zanesville,dresden boat ramp in dresden,coshocton boat ramp in coshocton,are all public ramps and easy to launch from also a ramp at ellis locks right below the dam

11. capt of the Floater

State:
    Ohio
    thanks never fished the Muskingum but I have no reason not to. Do you happen to know a street that the ramp is on in Coshocton?

12. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    2nd st west side of town

13. capt of the Floater

State:
    Ohio
    Tanks again I have this site the most helpful.

14. BG CAT

BG CAT New Member

State:
    Westerville OH
    Thanks guys for the help. Usually fish the deep hole, I will look for more structure. One last question do you set up for the night or move from spot to spot?

I am from Westerville to and my buddy puts his boat in at Putnam or Riverside Park in Zanesville.

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC! This site is full of good info and great stories.

16. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    welcome to the boc from dayton ohio

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hit numerous spots in a nights time. i will fish an area till I think I have covered it well enough then I move. The only time I will sit on an area, is if I'm sure there are good fish where im at, and then its a waiting game for them to hopefully become active. I have always done better by moving alot though....goodluck, rollo

18. tunacat

tunacat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    should have ate the chicken

19. tunacat

tunacat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like catfishrollo moves more than we do.........maybe we should scout our spots in daylight then we can move a lot quicker once it gets dark!!!!!!

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thats exactly what we do. It makes it alot easier at nighttime if you have landmarks that are still very familar in the dark by knowing them. I also have practiced anchoring in the daylight hours. On the upper Muskingum there is alot of current and fast moving water in the river channel. It makes it more difficult to anchor the boat properly in some of these places. Each spot we fish it seems has a different way we need to nose the boat in, anchor, or tie off to some type of structure in order to keep the boat right. So, I started doing this during the daytime a few years back in the spring, to see which was best for each spot. Some of these things may seem useless, but it has made life a lot easier on me in the dark.. especially since im the boat operator:wink: rollo