Muskingum River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Eudora, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey All:

I am planning a trip for me and my friends for the end of this summer. I ahve heard that the Muskingum River has some greAt flathead fishing. Can anyone recommend a specific area or part of the river that holds some good fish? Also, arer there any campgrounds around or near ther river? Thanks.

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Andy, There is a campground north of Zanesville at Ellis dam. If you have a boat there is a ramp there. It has good flat fishing from the dam down about a mile or so. You can also camp there and drive down to the riverside park area ( 10 minutes) and bank fish. Riverside has two ramps.
    Get on the ODNR website and look up the Muskingum. If you need more help later on this summer give me a call, I fish that stretch. I will help with directions. That 40+ in my avatar came from Riverside. Good luck.

P.S. Go Buckeyes

3. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i am new to the area but friends have told me that ellis dam was one of the best spots to hook into some nice flatties and blues if you can get in there in a boat

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You can get in there. It's one of the deepest dams on the river.

5. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey Skip:

Thank you for your help. I didn't know the Muskingum had blues in it. That sweetens the deal. Good to know that there are some good flatheads in there too. Can I buy goldfish nearby?

Thanks again

Andy

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry to disappoint you Andy :sad2: , here is some information from the Ohio Department of Wildlife
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]( IDENTIFICATION: The channel cat has a slender body with a deeply forked tail. The upper jaw is longer than the lower jaw and there are barbels around the mouth. The dorsal and pectoral spines are sharp and deeply serrated, and the anal fin is curved and has between 24 and 30 rays. The body is bluish silver on the sides and generally has dark spots. Some anglers mistakenly call channel catfish with few or no spots blue catfish, but the blue catfish is found only in the Ohio River.) Don't let that stop you though, big flats and channels abound. :smile2: [/FONT]

7. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Jack:

Hey, yeah that is kinda a downer. But, flatheads are what I'm really aftetr. I appreciate you letting me know the real scoop.

ANdY B.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Don't let Skip fool you. The best spot on the Muskingum is anywhere from Coshocton to Marietta. There are some dandies that come out of where Skip says, the Philo stretch, Mcconnelsville, Stockport, Luke Chute, Beverly, Lowell, have I left anything out?

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    We have no "blues" in the muskingum. If you catch a slate grey,to blue cat its a channel. We got lots of flats I catch at least one on 9 outta ten trips.

10. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Skip:

I thought that that was a little far north for blue cats, I guess it was to good to be true. Catching a few flatheads wood be great, that's my intended quarry. Any other advice or tips for that area would be great. Thanks again.

Andy

11. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    sry if i mislead you....like i said im new to this area and dont know much about the river i was just going by what the ppl that live around me say..i was just tring to help you out some

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey James, I use to call them Blues before I joined up here. lol they sure looked blue to me. Thats the great thing about the BOC always something to learn here.:big_smile:

13. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    its ok.....i never really fished for one kind of catfish,i enjoy them all...one day maybe ill get it together but til then its still fun!!!

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I would say come early and try to catch some bait from the river or dillon lake or the Licking river on R&R. I do much better than with baitshop bait or from a pond.