muskingum river

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by slimdaddy, Aug 16, 2009.

1. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    catmanblue and i and another friend fished the muskingum river around malta last nite with no results we had goldfish', greensunfish bluegills ,chubs ,largemouth bass ,shad ,chicken liver,nitecrawlers for bait and didnt catch no fish just a few light bites in which we think was turtles we fish ed from around 8 till 3 am this makes 9 times that ive been skunked i aint never had such a bad year at catfishing but ill never give up they got bite sooner or later but what ive read here this seems to be everywhere so anybody know whats up is it the weather or what is it or maybe theyre feeding at different times than were fishing

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. Wanderlei

Wanderlei New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hear ya Keith. I'm goin down there tonight. Besides turtles I've been skunked the last 3 times down.

3. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    "largemouth bass"

Nice bait choice. Just dont let the bass guys her ya

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Same here. Ive got skunked more this year than i have any past year.

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Its best to stay awy from that Muskingum river anyways Keith, No good fish just turtles and gar!:big_smile:

6. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
  7. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We had a good double on last Monday night-landed a 22-4 and lost a hawg that got hung up in the rocks.We went back to same spot the next night-3 hours-nothing-went up river to another honey hole.Three more hours-not a bump.We then tried again Thursday night in a 15ft hole that produced every time I've been there.That is every time except this time-4 1/2 hours-zilch-nada-notin-I don't know what the hell is going on.Someone locked em out.I guess they are all on vacation.Can't quit though-we'll get em next time.Good fishing and be safe.

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    The weekend before last, I was at the Mighty Muskingum. I too ended up with mostly nothing. I had a couple decent runs, but everytime, they went straight into a log pile and I got broke off. However, it wasn't a complete skunking....I did boat a 15lb leatherback. :big_smile:

Oh, and all that leatherback trip cost me, was one $140 prop.

I feel your pain.

9. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've been reading about everyone using cut bait for flatties on here, so I tried it the other night in Zanesville. We got an 8 1/2lb flatty and a channel that went almost 9lbs. Both were on gill heads. I had live out all night as well, and the only run on the live bait, the hook doubled back in the bait.

The cut bait got hit all night. We fished for close to 8 hours, and i don't think there was a 30 min period were the cut wasn't getting some action.

The trip also happened to be the worst one for hook ups with circle hooks.
    We missed on at least 5 serious runs. the rod was loaded and the fish was pulling drag, but wouldn't hook up. It was weird.

10. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I'll never tie another circle hook on my lines. It's Kahle hooks for me!

11. tokie

tokie New Member

State:
    Hemlock, Ohio
    Hey i am no expert but all tell yea you only need a quarter to and half inch of hook out to get a good hook in a shover so depending on your bait you might want to use a kahle but i like the circle the trick is to get your drag set to where you need it has to the muskingum it has been a slow year havnt fished it much but we did nail a 22 pounder the other night it seems like there hitting between four and five in the morning try to fish later instead of earlier you might have better luck

12. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Went out again, on friday night. Got my buddy his pb flathead. 28lbs 8oz.
    Beat his old best by 20lbs exactly! We also got a 3.5lb channel. Didn't get any other bites except for the one I missed.
    You could tell I haven't caught one yet this year. when my clicker went off, I ran for the rod. the moment I started for the rod, the fish dropped it.lol. I was way too anxious to get one.

It's been a wierd year for me, I'm able to put my buddies on em, but I can't buy a bite.

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think fishing is tough everywhere you go right now! Hope it works out better for you the next time out.

14. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Guys an Gals he told this politely that's why I never posted! If I had told the story it would have been something out of a sci fi movie I'm gonna tell ya!

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

There is no better feeling than putting a friend on a big fish, or their first fish!