Muskingum River size/numbers?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Nite heat, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Nite heat

Nite heat New Member

State:
    wv
    what is considered average for a flathead and what do u guys like to consider a "hog" 40 ? 50 ?

also do u find better size and number on the ramps /pools closer to the ohio or further upstream ?

i think as soon as u guys post a suitable water temp i am making my first voyage on that river,the rivers here are good but much smaller ,this will be a new experience for me lol .

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC. It is my belief that the entirety of the Muskingum River holds very good size Shovelheads (Flatheads). My favoite looking pools are Devola, McConnellsville, Ellis, and from the beginning of the river at Coshocton down to Ellis. Now keep in mind that the largest I have caught to date was 32 pounds and that was at Salt Fork. The largest I have pulled from the muskingum is 5 pounds once 20 years ago in the Beverly Pool and 2 years ago just west of Coshocton. I am on the hunt this year. I just scouted from Riverside Park in Zanesville to Ellis and it looks prime. I have also scoped out from Cosh to the mouth of Wills Creek which is near and dear to my heart.

As far as average size I call average size 3-8 pounds, a nice fish 8-24 lbs, a bragging size, a hawg 25-39 pounds, and a trophy 40+.

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Mitch, last year I had five flatheads in seven trips. Keep in mind I live an hour away from the river so I can't fish it as much as I would like. With that being said, I think I had a decent year. If my menory is correct, my fish were 8, two 10's, 12, amd 35lbs. The four smaller one's were caught on bluegills and the 35 was caught on a goldfish.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    My average is slightly higher cause I have spent manny fishless nights out on the river weeding out unproductive water LOL. I fish less nights than when I started (3-4 nights/week) and now one night per week. When I go now if I catch one its closer to 25lb than 10. I have to agree with Loanwizard on a 40lb+ being a trophy. I have caught more of them than 50 thru 70. But those larger fish are in there and I'll outsmart one before long. I don't think a 40 range fish is anything to sneeze at. They fight harder than any bass I ever caught lol.

5. Nite heat

Nite heat New Member

State:
    wv
    looking over my map i am going to target the beverly ramp area first and try fish the river 15 times this spring and summer and make a few more tripes in the fall.

i live about 2 hours away from the river unfortunately lol.

ill tell ya here in our local rivers i have done very well using 8-10 inch bass for bait how about u guys ?

do most people practice catch and release that u all know of ?

i use ambesadar baicast reels and i alo have a couple penns and okumas .I use 60 pound power pro and have 10ft berkley rods.I have always liked gamakatsu octupus hooks 8 ought is the biggest i have ever used .

Do u guys use float rigs more or just the good old fashioned 3 way??

here at home getting upstream of a big snag and drifting a float rig down into it has been very productive

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use green sunfish, smallmouths, brown bullheads, chubs, and carp, mostly. i love using big creek chubs, but have found that in some places turtles love them too. as long as its good and kickin i'll put a hook in it. i run all garcia reels mostly, on 6-8ft.st.croix rods. i spool with 30 and 40 pound berkely big game. gamukatsu hooks j-style and circles depending on the bait im running. i run 3-ways mostly, and a modified 3-way that my buddy shown me a couple years ago. i do float-fish for channels occationally, gonna try some different techniques this spring for flatties. I do C.P.R all of my big fish, never keep anything over 10. goodluck on your trips this year, hope you get hooked up:smile2:

7. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,

8. Nite heat

Nite heat New Member

State:
    wv
    what should i look for as trying to find good water . i have found that any bend in the river usually results in a good spot around here and also of course visual wood or structure on my graph.

thanks alot shawn for the info , from the ramp at beverly is it best to go up or down river for flayheads?

9. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Are you using a boat? If using a boat or shorebound it doesn't make much difference. Above the ramp you have the lock, the scour hole and the mouth of Wolf Creek. Below you have 8-12 miles of river with turns and structure. I prefer Flattie fishing in calmer waters, never had much luck with Shovelheads in the fast water, so I would head down. About a mile or maybe a little more on the right is a shallow area with a stream coming in which would be a good spring shallow feeding area if the tems are iffy.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you want you can fish every bend around here also, but every other guy on the river fishes them too. If you choose to fish there you will catch flatheads eventually. They will be smaller than what you are looking for though. That is a good place to start your search, but you will have to move after you figure out the small ones. This whole river gets hit hard by some good catmen. That makes the obvious spots poor producers. You can get your feet wet there as to what the flats like for bait and their general temprement, but you will have to "adapt and overcome" to find the 40 plus fish you seek. I don't say this to be flippant, I can't show you where the big fish are gonna be. You have to get out and fish the water and get a "feel" for it. I can go down this stretch and pick out the spots nobody else fishes cause they look like garbage compared to the so called "prime spots". But if I fish them 2 or 3 times I can catch one over 30. Sometimes it only takes one trip. The trick is to pick the spot that a Flathead will like and the average fisherman doesn't. Thats where you'll find the big ones.

11. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Alright then teach us. I have been on your stretch (once). We aretold depth change, structure, current break. If every spot like that is heavily fished, then what gives you a "feel"? Are you like me, that you look for 1 limb out of the water, or rocks that change to mud, or flat shallow that changes to bluff?

What is it that makes you stop?

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    let me shed alittle more light on this. me and skip talked last night about many different things including this topic. i think the average fisherman goes out and looks at different spots and judges them as good or bad. what i do is look at long streches of river, not only from map, but in person. it's not just finding logjams, but finding the right logjam in the best area for a few miles. there are logjams everywhere, and they all hold fish. but go through a process of elimination, i break down each jam, in each area and look for the one that is special. it has to have all the right characteristics. the other areas, the obvious spots, outside deep bends, eddy areas, these are areas are common to the naked eye as being good, but they are to everyone else also. if you want to catch big fish on an consistant basis you have to look for the hidden. look for the one big boulder rock deflecting current, the small washout below a rifle, small things that are often overlooked end up being the best. once you find them you will know. then guard them with gun and pistol.:cool2:

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Shawn, Its hard to describe in words what the river is saying. I have invested many hours on "perfect looking" spots only to catch nothing, not even a 5 pounder. Right now you have read everything you have gotten your hands on concerning Flatheads. You know the perfect spots when you see them, but so does everyone else. So they get hit like 7-11. Thats not to say that you can't catch fish there, you can. But I have to put in many more hours on those spots to catch a 30+ because they might have been fished the night or two before. So I try to look for marginal spots that may have been overlooked. Thats where I will find a fish that hasn't been hooked in awhile. When we go out this spring I'll try to show you what I mean. I do fish the obvious spots also but if I feel thats my best spot on a given day I have to stay there the whole night. None of that 3 hours and move crap. It seems like I have to stay 8 or 10 hours to get one hit.

14. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I understand what you are saying and will be an avid student when you and I go. You supply the knowhow, I'll supply the transportation. Remember, it takes a jet to get there and I have only seen 6-7 people that I know that regularly fish the area from a boat. Riverside on the other hand has literally close to a thousand boaters a week on it. My contention is that in my neck, marginal may be best but obvious spots are not overfished up here. But, I could be wrong.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'll let you pick the first spots, WC excluded LOL. The next time I'll pick a couple. We'll see how it goes from there. Maybe you know more than you think you do. I have never fished up there so I can't say I "know anything" for sure. I do know I want to try it a time or two.