Muskingum River Questions-Coshocton 4/19

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cheezemm2, Apr 16, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I see the river is finally down and I might head down there for the day on Saturday to do some scouting/fishing. My trip on the Ohio last week drained my bait reserves so I will most likely be fishing/castnetting for bait while I'm down there too.

1) Are there any discharges in the area from the North Ramp at Coshocton to the South Ramp?
    2) How frequent are white bass?
    3) Should I stay at home if I don't have any frozen shad?
    4) Are any of you guys/gals going to be out on the river?

It's time to get the kayak out and land a 40lber!

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm sure loanwizard should chime in here, this area is in his back door. If anything he should know this stretch of the river.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am sorry it took so long to get to this, I've been a little busy lately. It's killing me, I want to fish.....

First, I rarely depend on that portion of the river for bait. In that respect I guess I am more like a bass fisherman in that I like to get on the river prepared and gun to the first hole. That said, there is a discharge upstream of the south ramp. I have NEVER had any luck in that spot. The Muskingum does not give up many gills for me. Mostly I catch small drum, big carp to cut and small smallmouths that do in a spot. I usually fish the Roscoe Village basin ponds for bait, then head out, or I run the 40 minutes to Dillon to catch a weeks worth of fresh shad.
    I would like to ask a favor of you though. There are literally dozens of riffles, back cuts, eddy's and other slack areas where you might catch fish. I wouln't ask you to give up a spot where you caught a big cat, especially on an OPEN BOARD, but I would like to find a couple of HOT bait holes.
    I see very few white bass. Even with no shad, I would NOT stay home. In a Kayak you always have the ride, it's kind of like a Harley Davidson. You might see our resident eagle that Jack and I saw this weekend.... Bass Turd caught a bigger fish than I did....
    I don't know whether I will be on a river or lake or anywhere this weekend... this is the wifes weekend lol!

Good luck and maybe we'll see you!

Shawn

4. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Loan,

If I get down there, you'll be the first to know about bait and spots as you helped me via pm's!:cool2:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    goodluck to you jim if you make it down this way....rollo

6. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last weekend ended up being local trips for me...as soon as I can find some shad up here I will head down that way and do a smallie/flattie trip all in one near the coshocton area. I just wish I could find some fricking bati!:sad2:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey jim, we may be able to help you out on the bait. I know a couple local spots that you could catch some gills before your trip, and maybe shawn has some shad still frozen? I will send you a pm...rollo