Muskingum River near Coshocton

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by feetdown, May 27, 2008.

1. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    Okay here we go....
    Ive been on the river 2 times in 3 days and Im still tyring to pattern these fish. I have tried log piles, brush piles, shallows, holes, and even rock ledges.
    There doesnt seem to be a pattern here....I have had short runs ( like they were moving the bait) and I have had a couple real hard first hits but nothing to follow it up.
    It seems like everythiing is hitting the bait short , like a bass would. Today I searched th bottom with my electronics trying to find a new spot or two. I did manage to see a series of dips and valleys in a section that I normally blow right through. After I looped through it I dropped a couple lines on what seemed to be fish lying in these dips.
    After about 3 mins both poles went on 1 of those quick runs I mentioned ealier..

Water Temp was about 63.5 and the river was pretty much the same as it has been as far as the levels go. I just cant seem to get hooked up......Im going to try to float a few baits through these spots to see if I can change my luck......Ive tried cut gills, cut chubs and live bait I have even tried changing where in the bait Im runnin my hook, but it does seem to matter to the fish....Results are still the same.......I havent even been able to pull a channel out yet.....

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Stop in at Coshocton Cars and talk with loanwizard. That's his neck of the woods.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    We talked this morning. I will be back to talk a little more on Thursday.

Where's Rollo?

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i was fishing this weekend,and i was getting short runs also,they would pick it up,take about a foot and drop it.i finally left my bail open without using the baitrunner,and they ran a lot better that way.not sure why they wre acting like that,unless the water is still a little cool for them,i was fishing in rocky fork,not in a river,though

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I believe that the "hitting short" is caused by water temp. They are moving in pre spawn although not as concentrated as in a "normal" year. They are just not as agressive as they normally would be. Remember, the water temp is still fluctuating between high 50's to low 60's "surface" temps.

The water level has also fluctuated quite a bit making it difficult to hold position and properly present baits. Use those bobbers and hooks like I showed you and you will at least catch some big channels. We are only days away, a stable warm weather pattern from some EXCELLENT flathead action.

Have patience grasshopper.