Muskingum River last night

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cats gone wild, Jul 22, 2007.

1. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Hit the Muskingum last night and it the busiest I have ever seen it! I counted I think ten trailers in the parking lot and there was still five boats out when I got off the river at 3 a.m. The river was slightly higher than it has been and muddy. Water temp was 74.5 degrees. Decided to use circle hooks for the first time for flatheads. Big mistake! I landed a 14 lber around 9:45 p.m. on a bluegill. The fish was barely hooked, in fact the hook popped out when I got the fish in the boat. Moved to my second spot and lost four fish in about a three hour period. I don't understand it. I was using my clickers and when a fish started to run I engaged the reel and let them load up the rod but no hook ups. I don't know what I was doing wrong, I use circles for channels with no problems. I will never use circles again for flatheads. The big ones are hitting now. I was talking to a guy at the ramp who was leaving at the same time I was and he caught a 41 that night and a 36 two nights before, he showed me the pics. I will post my pic in the photo thread.

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Well I dont know what the problem may have been but I have used cicle hooks alot for flatheads and have had very little problems but I dont use the clicker i just let them load the rod up right off the get go

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I was using 7/0 Eagle Claws. Maybe I was using the wrong size.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fished a in a local tourney last night. there were plenty of fishermen out and about, you got that right phil. it was an all-nighter tournament, we caught plenty of fish 19 to be exact. 9 flatties i think, rest of em worthless channels. lol. big fish was a 17lber. i caught around 10:30 pm. oh well, we had fun. saw some big stringers at the weigh-in. the rain seemed to get things going again. the bite stayed fairly constant throughout the night..rollo

5. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    phil.get away from eagle claw circles,the gap is too close and dont go under 8/0 gamagatsu or owner circles,have to have plenty gap and point exposed to get a good hookset

6. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used circle hooks on channels but never flatheads. When I use circle hooks I never use the clicker. Is this correct?

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Throw those Eagle Claw circles away. I use 8/0 Gamakatsus.

2nd, get away from the clicker on those hooks.

8. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I normally don't use the clicker with circles but I was getting tired and wanted to shut my eyes for a while. I thought that if I got a run I would engage reel and let the rod load up. I think Tony was right, my hooks were too small. Anyway I'm going back to my 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im not saying one is better than the other, and it mostly has to do with the angler and the technique that works for you. i always use clicker, no matter if fishing circles or j-style. here is my reasoning...i run slighty larger baits. and i firmly believe that flatheads when seeing a bait they attack it immediately with jaw crushing power. they don't like to chase dinner far when they can probably strike fast enabling the bait to swim. with this said, i believe they may attack from the side of the bait, tail, head etc. after the initail hit, then of course they have to turn the bait to swallow their prey. i think this is why so many times you may have a hard hit, short run, you reach for the pole and the worst fisherman's nightmare...he dropped the bait..., but, how many times after the first run, when he runs again seconds to even minutes later, that you get a good hook up, with the bait and hook often deeper in the mouth. atleast i have noticed a better hook-up usually. so i would rather let them run, to make sure they have the bait, being more patient, then lock it in letting my med/heavy action rod load up then try to bust him...just my method, so goodluck and tightlines...you tightliners lol....rollo

10. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    10/o gama octapuses for me,, let um run the clicker and cross their eyes, works every time.

11. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know this is correct for channels too. They run initially and there is a pause...then after that pause they take off once again and you can always get a good hookset. I just took some fellas to alum creek and they couldn't believe how long i let my fish run lol....once I got to the second run I let that little fish feel the wrath!!!!!

ben