Muskingum River Info

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by wolfman, Mar 8, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    At the mouth of the river the Marietta Pool (the Devola Tailwater) covers 5.8 miles in Washington County. The channel-cat fishing in this pool is excellent, with fish averaging 12 to 13 inches and ranging up to 20 inches. Try fishing the main river channel near sand and gravel bars.
    This is also one of the best sections for finding flatheads. The water just below the tailwaters should be particularly good this month and next. Expect flatheads to average 12 to 18 inches with a good chance of latching onto the occasional 30-inch specimen. Live sunfish or chubs are the best flathead bait.
    Upriver, the next top-rated pool is the Devola Pool (Lowell Tailwater), also in Washington County. The Devola Pool is 8.4 miles long. Use the same tactics described above (Marietta Pool) to catch fish in Devola pool. Anglers can expect channels and flatheads of the same size as those found in the Marietta pool.
    The Beverly Pool (Luke Chute Tailwater) is another excellent bet for channel cats and flatheads. Flowing for nine miles in Washington and Morgan counties, the Beverly Pool features channels measuring up to 20 inches and flatheads up to 30 inches.
    In Muskingum County, the Philo Pool (Y-Bridge Area) is noted for its excellent catfishing, especially flatheads. Flatheads should average 12 18 inches while channel cats will be about 13 inches. The pool is 10.9 miles long, but most anglers concentrate on the deeper pools near the Y-Bridge area.
    Also in Muskingum County, the Licking River Pool (Dillon Tailwaters) features excellent flathead and channel catfishing. Concentrate on the deeper pools, especially those with wood cover, such as logjams.
    The last top-rated pool is the Zanesville Pool (Ellis Tailwaters). Covering 9.1 miles, the Zanesville Pool flows through Muskingum County. The flathead fishing is particularly good here, with fish averaging 12 to 18 inches and ranging up to 30 inches. The best section within the pool is just below the tailwaters. Focus on the deeper holes downstream of moderate to fast currents.
    State Route 60 follows most of the Muskingum River and provides access to the locks and dams, which provide shoreline opportunities for fishermen.
    State Route 60 briefly leaves the river’s edge bypassing Stockport. This section may be accessed by state Route 376, which branches off from state Route 60. Additionally, the uppermost sections of the river may be reached via state Route 666, which follows the river.

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    In the pre-spawn don't limit yourself to the deep water areas. Anywhere you see a large tree or two thats been in the water for awhile may be a possible nesting site. Water temps between 60 and 70 will have the flats looking for a spawning site. They roam far and wide durring this period. Gear big cause the're are some monsters in there.

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Hopefully we get some steady warm temps around here soon. Then maybe I'll get me a nice flathead.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When is the first flathead gonna be caught from the muskingum? Anyone got a date they like to start fishing them? I also want to get more Muskingum fishermen on this site this year, so when you meet people on the river this year give them the address. We got 80 miles of river to cover, we need more participation.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would say about middle of May would be a good time to start

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Middle to late April, but I doubt that it will be over 5#s though. Don't let this snow fool ya warm weather is coming soon and they will be moving to shallow water at night to feed. :)EARLY SPRING!!!!!:)

7. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I think I might stop by the Muskingum on the way to the Salt Fork gathering. It's right on the way for me.

8. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im from dayton and fish the gmr frequently and am hopin to fish the muskigum this season. could anyone give me a town i could mapquest to get directions that has the best flathead fishing in river. i have no idea how to get to the area.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Thats kind of a hard question to answer. There are alot of spots on the muskingum the has great flathead fishing. Below any of the dams would be the best spot to start looking. There is ellis dam north of zanesville, then there is one right in zanesville. And a bunch more below there all the way down to the ohio in marietta.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Larry he's right any of the dams this spring would give you the best chance to hook up with a big flat.Ellis Dam has a campground, its a few miles north of zanesville. In zanesville itself you can fish the dam under the Y-bridge, or the area directly up and down stream. Or head south to the Duncan falls/ Philo dam. Farther south is Eagleport and the Rokeby dam good bank access there. Even farther south look up McConnelsville and Stockport. If you like getting out and finding spots I suggest getting a good map. At wally world you can get a Delorme map book called the Ohio Atlas and Gazetteer. You can find anything with that map. Good luck.

11. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im all for sharing info on the bites in local rivers, but sometimes you guys get alittle specific on the details. i dont know about you all, but when I find a "honey-hole" I like to keep it a secret. i dont mind taking people with me but I just cant see why peolpe would give directions to these kinda hot spots....I pulled a couple of 30lb'ers out last year of a spot I felt was kinda secretive but low and behold people started talking and before you knew it you couldnt fit another boat on that section of the river. I guess I just dont understand it......WHY........

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    feetdown its all about trust on the people on this site as far as I see it. I really dont mind letting people know if I had a honey hole to share I would share it. I dont think it will get overrun, so what if someone else fishes there do you think they might have found it anyway? We are talking about public places and all it really needs is someone to go on a boat and see you fishing there once and they could be there the next day or right after you leave you wouldnt know it. Keep your holes "secret" its not like someone wont find it eventually. :thumbdown

13. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I understand that, all im saying is that alot of guys seem to give better directions to spots than what I get off of my GPS. Im just a firm believer that if you find a spot keep it quiet, if somebody "finds" that spot later good for them, at least they are out doing the work themselves instead of following directions that someone else had posted....I dont mean to push anybodys buttons Im just addin my $.02

14. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Feetdown these ain't exactly honey hole be any means everyone knows these spots. The info Wolfman put up was released by Ohio Department of Natural Resources for the whole world to view. So they're not real secert spots thats for sure. But they are good spots.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I've fished the muskingum for flatheads going on 10 years now. Each year the river changes, what spot held fish 3 years ago might not this year. I've fished the exact same spots repeatedly, where I caught monsters before with no luck.I can fish the same spot every time I go out and only get bit once outta ten times. So I don't care if someone else fishes "my" spots. If they go and expect to haul in a trophy at each one they will be sorely dissapointed. Big flatheads is a game of patience and wit. I have it, alot of people don't. If they don't offer up a perfect meal ( this includes but not limited to.. Bait species, Size of bait,Noise level,Time of day,Time of year,Weather,River level, Placement of bait, Light in boat or bank....) They usually will leave empty handed and wonder why and start looking for another honey hole. I dont give the exact spot I caught fish but I'll get you within a half mile then you can find it for yourself If you care at all about your pursuit. I purposely fish a different section or hole every time I go out and I catch at least one flathead 95% of the time.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    But I will always give out all the information I can because I want others to be able to catch fish like I do. I remember the dark days before There was any info on catfishing. I spent years tossing liver and worms out in the river with nothing to show for it. I just don't want that to happen to anyone else if I can steer them in the right direction. If you dont feel comfortable giving out your spots thats fine. Divulge what you can, like the section you fished,bait type,rigging used...etc. we all can help others without giving away the farm.

17. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i wasnt asking for anyones hole just some info on good "areas" not someones spot. just a good place to start looking. i didnt know very much about cat fishing either until i joined this site and by other people sharing info that helped me out alot!

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Anytime you want to go let me know and I'll hook you up. I know from Coshocton to Conesville, a little about Ellis Dam and quite a bit about Beverly Lock and Luke Chute.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If fishing from the bank the best chance to catch a flathead is at the dams. You might have to spend alot of fishless nights but eventually big fish will come to you.Each one has to be probed and explored and that takes time on the water. You must get a sense of what is happening out there, Why are they here or over there,what are they eating tonight.