Muskingum river in Ohio May 29th

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Jun 1, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Went out monday night, The river was still a little high and muddy for my taste. Lots of debris still coming down and too much current to fish my favorite areas. We ended up in a calm spot in an eddy area, well it woulda been calm if there were'nt a flotilla of pontoons running up and down river all night as fast as their little engines could push them, making waves. My brother did catch one 8lb flathead around 11 pm. The water temp was at 67.7 degrees, so the spawn is about to commence. On the USGS web site the water is down a foot from monday night so if we don't get tons of rain this week it might just be fishable this weekend.

2. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I want to try the muskingum this year, Im in zanesville every day for school but have never stayed to fish

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    anybody fish ellis dam? I've been there before i was a serious catfisherman and remember catching a small channel cat......but I'm after shovelheads these days? I will be up that way in July and just wondering if anyone prefers ellis over ....say dillon spillway??

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You'll have a better chance at a flatty up at Ellis. Don't worry, when you come up this summer I'll put you in a position to catch a nice one. Whats your biggest flathead so far?

5. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    my biggest flattie so far I caught at that spot I was telling you about just below the Philo lock.......I didn't get an official weight but I gave him an underestimate of 45#........honestly i think he was in the 50# range but I don't want to exagerate.......but he was surely a hog.....I had him right off of the sandbar three times and he ran .....the fourth time he was too damn exhausted, i unhooked him and he didn't even swim away, i had to help him....hopefully he had a full recovery......only 3 weeks away ......I will be up that way.......look forward to meeting ya buddy.......

6. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I plan on catching one for my profile pic also...........lol