Muskingum River help

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Nite heat, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Nite heat

Nite heat New Member

State:
    wv
    how u guys been ,i aint been on for a while , im looking to go to the muskingum sunday and monday . what is the water looking like around beverly and where do u think it will be by sunday night ?

any advice on what tactics,structure,location i should be doing or looking for around the beverly area would be much appreciated .
    this is our fist trip to the musk. . i was planning on fishing 4 rods bluegills and goldfish all on 3 ways with 6/0 gamakatsu cicle hooks . i have 60 pound spider wire on okuma and ambassaduer reels .

what do u guys think ?

thanks again ,u guys gave me some good advice over the winter that has really helped me on the local streams here .

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    unless you have someone going with you ,the pole limit in Ohio is 2 poles and up to 3 hooks per line. rivers are all real low at this time but fish have been hitting off and on shallow water around wood or rocks

3. Nite heat

Nite heat New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks, i thought maybe it was high from the big rains ,must have missed u guys up there .

have u ever fished the beverly area? do u think i should take any bait other than what i posted ?

4. catfishduckhunter

catfishduckhunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    River is in a 10 yr low..and..they are still in spawn...just starting to come out
    better off makin the trip 2 weeks from now
    Chubs are always a great bait

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i fished the devola, lowell pool last weekend. flats were slow did manage a few. they should start hitting better soon. but, if this weather stays the same, water temps. are gonna stay elevated esp. in the low water. this will prolong the "dog days" which are usually slow and boring...goodluck

6. Nite heat

Nite heat New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks guys , i might make the trip anyways to scout some good structure with water being low and all. Are the channels slow as well?

we fish burnsville lake here in wv , they seem to be ahead of the river fish here as far as spawn goes.

you guys ever use bass much , some of the biggest fish i have ever caught have been on bass. my biggest flathead ever was on a bullhead and the next biggest 2 were on bass (rock bass) (smallmouth).

ill tell ya a way that i scout new water to see what is in there is with a trotline . I generally run 50 hooks on my line with large gills and chubs . i once got 4 flatheads over 25 pounds in one night and 4 others over 10 pounds as well. needless to say that is a hole that i have fished since and done well lol . gennerally after spawn is over that hole is always full of nice flatheads. i have not got any monsters out of that particular hole but good consistency.

obviously i beleive in 100% CPR for flatheads ,it makes me sick when i see some moron in our local fishing pamphelet with a 40lbs flathead dead on a rope in their drive with that retarded grin ,oblivious of how many young she may have produced and how old she was to get that big !!!!!!
    i better stop before i get hot lolol