Muskingum river flathead catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jun 15, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thought i would get an updated thread started. anyone doing any good on the river? i'm taking my uncle tom. night. out of dresden. water temps. should be getting crazy. i will post my update asap....rollo

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I haven't had any luck lately myself. From what I have heard they seem to be biting around 4 am or so in the river. Good luck to you guys tomorrow night.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I went for 3 hrs tuesday night. Not even a nibble,... maybe I need a baby gar for bait lol.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i can believe that... i have always preached about the morning bite, very few wanna believe me or try. guess they are too tired to go at 3 am.. i have caught some gooduns in the early hours, esp. when water temps. start getting this warm..hint..hint:roll_eyes:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i told the brother-in-law...aka game of inches..gar is a favorite...hopeing to keep him out of my bait tank for a while!!:lol:lol

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gar you say? How's this for bait?

Attached Files:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    only u ramrod..lol. nice pic though:smile2:

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Nice fish Johnny, next time I need bait I'll call ya lol.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    did u really catch that monster, or did it just swim head-on into your dads barge?

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Now that's funny Rollo lol. Thought they hit a floating log and it turned out to be this giant gar lol.

11. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    lot of nice cut bait on that big gar!!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, i took my uncle and fished the muskingum last night. i have to say it is mighty shallow right now. but, worked out alright. my uncle is a hefty fella and i had him place himself in the front of the boat. even with a jet, you gotta be thinking lol :lol: we managed some decent fish biggest around 13 or 14 and some other ones just under . the river temps were hot. and the flatheads are on spawn. the ones we caught were in the rock, which makes me believe that they do bed for spawn not only in timber for spawn, but rock as well. the last few years i have been catching them in rock during spawn. anyways, thats what happened. anyone else fish the musky this weekend?...rollo

13. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I fished Riverside Sat. night to Sun. morning. Stopped at 5:30 a.m. I had a busy night, had six good runs but only managed one hard fighting 17 lber. My first run came 30 mins after setting up on my first spot. This was a big fish! When I set the hook my rod almost doubled over then I felt a "pop" in the line. I thought I broke the line but it was the hook coming loose. For some reason I was having trouble getting hook ups. My guess is they were small and were not grabbing the part of the bait with the hook in. I don't know. It would have been nice to catch all of those fish, but maybe next time. That was the most bites I've had in one trip. The water temp was 78 degrees at 9:30 p.m. and 76 at 5:30 a.m.

14. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    i was also out last night....:crazy: is all i have to say about it....

Landed 4 flats should have had 8 and a pocket full of 50's from the tournament pay-out...I broke off 2 real heavy fish and lost 2 others in the timber...
    The 2 I broke were flat out screamin the clickers, I set the hook and snapped the Brand new spools of 50lb Power Pro like it was nothing...Ill never buy that junk again.....I should be asking for a refund on it...

All well at least it was a busy night all in all we had probably 10-12 good runs.........

15. catfishdaddy

catfishdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hello I'm New to the Board but really enjoying fishing for catfish ! I was wonder whats seem to be the Best hooks to use when fishing for the big cats...

God Bless
    Catfishdaddy

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I was out last night and there were boats all over the place. (Tourney and Fathers Day weekend. Caught 3 channels and one flattie before dark (6lbs the largest) lost several in timber. To the guy who hates 50 lb PP, I downsized to 65 this year and hate it. My 100lb is 3 yrs old and still strong but that 65 is junk. I like my buddy's 50lb berkley blue line stuff though. That 65 power pro breaks way too easily.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have seen the same thing with the 50 and 65lb power pro while fishing with a couple guys the last couple years. I have been using 80lb for 3 yrs now (same line) and have never had a problem with it. I have to put alot of pressure on it to get something to break when snagged (one of the knots, or the leader, or hook.) If you are fishing around rocks a good deal of the time that could be causing nicks that go unnoticed causing the breaks I guess. Maybe its a production problem with lower pound test lines? I like it for its castability and space saving on the reel though.

18. Ms. Whiskers

Ms. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A friend told me that back in the 1970's, a bridge collapsed at the Muskingum River. The way the story goes, divers went down & immediately came back up, refusing to go back down. They're reason: CATFISH WERE AS BIG AS CARS! Does anyone remember this happening? I would love to believe it, but it sounds a little fishy...

19. feetdown

feetdown New Member

State:
    ohio
    I heard that too, but I heard they were welders sent to repair a bridge pier....

20. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I had heard it was on the Ohio river, who knows???