Muskingum river flathead catfish 9/25

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Sep 29, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Went out monday night above the Y-bridge dam, got anchored up by 9pm at spot number one stayed til 12 no runs. Moved to spot two got settled by 12:45. Water temp was 65.7 degrees, Air temp was 48 degrees. Almost froze my jimmys off. Around 1:30 I caught a 4lb flathead on a 1lb bass, first time I ever saw a flat eat a bait tail first. At 5 am I got a run on a 10 inch crappie. He clicked the reel four or five times ( just enough to wake me up) then nothing. I moved to the back of the boat so I was closer to the reel, just as I sat down the tip started to go down and I picked up the rod as he headed away from me. I set the hook and smiled cause I could tell my 8 hour wait for a big one was over. I reeled him close to the boat but I was in 9ft of water and he would not come up. I thought I finally hooked the elusive 50 pounder I've been after. He went upstream under my anchor rope then back down under the boat just then he busted the surface right at the motor and slammed it sideways with his tail. Made quite a racket and made me jump. After that he was spent and I could grab him. Weighed 38 pounds even but he fought like fifty. I got no pics cause I was alone, but I savored the moment as I let him go cause he might be the last for this year. I HATE THE COLD. lol

2. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sounds like you had a good night of fishing,if it wasnt so cold.Im taking the kid this saterday to the river,We fish off the bank, will have a nice shelter and a big fire to stay by.Were i fish is our deer camp right on the river.

3. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Thats an awesome fishing trip ...when we going again ?

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish man, congrats on the catch.

5. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    nice fish skip the water not frooze yet so you still got plenty of time to find that 50lber

6. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    nice fish s-dude! i should hang it up for this year as i can't catch anything but bait. been the worst fishing year of my life. wish i had some cheez!

7. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
  8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Awesome fish. I am with ya on the cold too. I was just talking about the water temps and flatheads tonight while fishing

9. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I too never seen a cat take a live bait head first.

Very nice Flathead.

10. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I did make it to the muskingum river saterday night.Rain ,rain and lightning, was all set up had the fire going when the storms came in.No, bites by 9 pm . So we went to bed, plan on waking up around 3 maybe the rain would stop by then. Woke up at 4 looked out had 1 rod bouncing and the other knocked over.Got the kid out of van to help on the rods.The line was taken all the way off the reel to knot.Reeled in half way with a decent fish pulling ,but got snagged.Lost fish ,even took boat out after it.The other rod was my sons and he brought in a 9.5 pound , 29 inch,channel cat. That was it for the night.

11. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the channel! That is a nice one:cool2:

12. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    congrats on the nice flattie