Muskingum River Coshocton area

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Vonroc, May 31, 2006.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Heading to the Coshocton area of the Muskingum for the first time. First time flathead fishing, need info on bank fishing access. Is there any State Parks or boat ramps with access to the bank. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Not familiar with this area at all.

2. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    if you feel like heading a little further south, the y-bridge at zanesville seems to be a great spot, it has a small city park, and some other decent bank spots under the bridge. never banked any big shovels there, but i got 23 real nice runs last summer. the final run of that night, ran about 35 yards, then snapped a 50lb steel leader in open water.

3. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    try sending a p.m. to s_man, maddcatter, or loanwizard, they all fish that area, from what i understand.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Plenty of bank fishing access on the Muskingum. Just look for a pull off on SR 16 and you are at a local's spot. Also if you turn on to SR 83 south (west of town) and take your 1st left there are spots there as well (other side of river) My favorite 2 spots for bank access are along 16 by the yellow house that used to be a riverfront drive thru restaurant ( current owner has old tractors and an airboat) This is a mile downstream of the 2nd bridge. 2nd favorite is the other side of the river right before the tracks. Good walk there though. I have not bank fished it but those two spots I know about because they are real close to where I take my boat and anchor.

Boat access- There is 1 public boat ramp on the upper Muskingum. It is located on S. 2nd street in Coshocton. If you come in using the 541 (Coshocton exit) it is the first light (by McDonalds) Make a right and just keep going it is near the water treatment plant on the right. I don not recommend any vessel that drafts over 6 inches of water or you are not going far during normal pool. I run a 1654 jon w/ a 40hp jet and have grounded many times (And I know most of my stretch of river)

Places to go by boat and spots to watch out for- If you go right (upstream) from the dock. Fairly good navigation 4-6 feet to the bridge. Good spots include the fast water near the old bridge piling, lot's of wood there and in this run, Across from Bob Evans (small creek entering also most heavily fished spot period lots of saugeye) If you go under 541 bridge you are on a different river right Tuscarawas left Walhonding do not go from tusc to wal on the upstream side of the bridge or you will ground your boat. Yes you will LOL!
    Also know that there is either a big island or very shallow spot directly out (15-30 yards) from the hotel. Going downstream, it is navicable until the other side of bridge then hug the right ban because the water gets inches skinny out more thean 15 feet from shore (normal pool) then keep an eye on the water. At the nex pool stay close to the island you kind of have to cross over the river. On the left there are some mighty big rocks. Left looks shallow and fast but is actually 3-4 feet once you come across the point or head of the island, uh inches of water, I like to anchor just past the rocks in the quiet pool and fish the seam the fast and the slack water areas. (Haven't gotten one yet but it just looks too perfect not too) further downstream is THE outside bend. This is the deepest water within 5 miles either direction. One of these days I will fish upstream of this but I have fished in it and downstream of it. Just around the bend is the spot I have fishe the most. I have fished the left side (downed wood) with moderate success (our best night was 6-8 fish 3-8 lb flatties) I am still working on the big one out of there that I know is there. If you need any further info, stop in at the corner of 7th and Otsego (by the fairgrounds) at my car lot Carroll's Buckeye Motors, or give me on my cell phone. You can find it through my sponsor link on the right side of this site or coshoctoncars.com

Good Luck,

Shawn Dostie

5. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks Guys For All Your Help.

6. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey if your headed down this way there are lots of easy to find spots and a few that are a little out of the way both river lake and pond spots if u need any specifics on locations or anything let me no. or if you'd like to get together and go out to some spots just let me no when youll b down for sure.If not the spots that loanwizard mentioned are great spots specially to bank fish from.
    :spiderman: