Muskingum River Catfishing Report 1-23-2010

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 24, 2010.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man it felt good to get the boat on the water again! What a nice day it was for January also. Anyways, Adam and myself decided to try our luck yesterday. River temp was 36 degrees, and slighty elevated. Bait choice was cut shad. We moved a few spots trying to locate fish. Finally we found them. They were located on a drop from 15-26 ft. Most showed up suspended half way up the drop, there was a bunch more stacked up at the bottom end. But most takers seemed to be up. Had hopes for a flattie or two, but we struck out there. Ended up with 11 channel cats total, most between 3-6 pounds. The bite was light, and was using a 4/0 hook, with small pieces of shad. It actually was so light at times, we just tightlined them holding our rods in our hands, trying to feel for them as they often would just load the rod tip, and not move off with the bait far. Highlights, of the day was a double, that resulted in both fish getting tangled up together. What a mess! Saw some eagles also. They seem to becoming more and more plentyful in this area, and ran into Randy (luckeywade) on the river. All in all, it was a nice day, and a fun one at that. It definetely eased some cabin fever. Atleast for awhile. lol... rollo

Attached Files:

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good report, Sounds like a very fun, sucessful day:snowman:

3. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    grrr all the water here by me still has a layer of ice or so...cant hit the water yet...congrats on the great day though. nice looking channels too.

4. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for the report an good to see you adam out after some fish.

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on getting on some fish. Looks like you had a great day!

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice job. Why didn't ya ask me if I would go? LOL!

7. newarkcatman

newarkcatman New Member

State:
    lickin,hanover
    Congrats on the fish stop and pick me up next time lol..

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
  9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Congrats Jason!!! On some nice Jan. catting. Great report. Reps to ya my friend.

10. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great job Rollo. We also noticed a extremely light bite on Saturday. Twice we reeled in poles to change bait and found fish on them, one was a eight pound channel, never even moved the pole. Quite truthfully never fought when pulled to the boat. Just channels though the blues seem to handle the cold with a little more spunk, at least for the first couple minutes.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats why I prefer my bass poles, and lighter line over my regular rods in certain situations, we used our cat rods the other day, but the lighter tipped rods is what we ended up using, and had to put a finger on the line. Kinda felt like ice-fishing at times... rollo

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Glad you got out to catch some fish Jason, I sure cant get them to bite down here! LMAO I think my abilities peaked about 7 days after I got my boat!:yawn:

13. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Glad to see you guys were able to get out and land a few. My 1st fish will more than likely come in March. When I start chasing Channels. To kill my cabin fever. Nice job guys...