Muskingum/Ohio River intersection?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by joadb, Nov 2, 2007.

1. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    has anyone fished the muskingum/ohio river intersection lately?if so-any luck with flatheads and whats the story on blue cats down there.i know thats kind of the topic of the week but it would be cool to know if anyone has caught any in that area.i have to drive 140 miles to get there so thats why im askin for a little advice.its along drive home without atleast a pic or two of a cat!thanks!

2. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i dont know how the bite is there but i live 57 miles north of there on the muskingum river i fish off of my boat dock(no boat so i need it for something...lol)and i have only caught two flatties sense augest one was 3 pounds and the was yesterday at 7 inches......but been hearing of ppl getting them in deep holes if you got a boat the would be the way i would go

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    haven't fished it lately...do you boat it down from the campground? or do you bankfish it off the rocks?:wink: rollo

4. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    bank fish it man.i dont got a boat.so i throw as far as i can- i got good gear(abus and tigers)so i can get it out a bit but still its along drive so i try and maximize my time in the right place at the right time.PM me rollo if you get a chance.im 100% catch and release-i just got a love for flatheads and any info is appreciated.up north where im at we dont got the flats so i have to travel.and on the budget me and my wife and 5 kids are on i can only do it a few times a year.ill be sittin on the corner of the musk and the ohio on saturday and sunday if any of you are out-give me a holler!!!thanks

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Can anyone tell me what the name of the campground is down there? And how close it is to a ramp? Any help would be appreciated.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i don't know the name, but if you are talking about the one i think..its below the fairgrounds the ramp is right there also. hope this helps some..rollo

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike, how many miles is it for you to get to Zanesville? You don't have to drive all the way to Marrietta to catch Flatheads. There are lots of us in this area that could meet up with you and fish the Muskingum or Dillon, or Salt Fork. Jason454, Tspergin, RamRod, maddcatter, Rollo, cats gone wild, Loanwizard, Netmanjack, Doughboy, just to name a few. Plus me LOL. I know for a fact any of these guys would take you fishing and show you around if you ask. We have some fine fishing around here lol.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    always looking to meeting new brothers..shoot a pm and i will take you to skip's holes!! lol rollo:smile2:

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Careful there Rollo, or I could take him to YOURS! :cool2::eek:oooh::wink:

Ha Ha Ha HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that used to be one ofmy fav. spots.. too much traffic now days!!.i will take almost anyone there now! lol...skips buddy even went!! rollo

11. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Remember the time we went out on your boat "flathead" fishing?

Have you had your boat scanned for GPS since then? :wink:

12. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    hey guys-thanks for replying to my thread.id love to hook up and fish with any of you all-i did end up catchin a couple of flats this weekend and my wife caught a nice channel cat.-their still biting.we had a large fish on but didnt get it in.it bit on a 9 inch live skipjack.

Attached Files:

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Congrats, Anyone still out flathead fishing in November is a die-hard lol. I'm going out wed. in the snow to see if I can catch a couple more. Rollo and I and my buddy Jim caught 5 flats and a channel on saturday.

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have been fishing november to even mid december for yrs. now. they aren't done biting! there are many fish to be caught through these months. i enjoyed taking skip and jim out this weekend. nothing like catching flats in the afternoon...rollo

15. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    yea,we fished 2 days-the first day,nothin,the second day we couldnt keep bait on our hook.we were using big bait too.the fish we had on that we lost wouldnt even come off the bottom.and i was using cabelas 11 foot predator rods and garcia big game reels w/30lb test big game and couldnt move it.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    theres some biguns in that river. every system is different. i have had better luck late in the year on the muskingum with smaller baits. and cuts. but, the way they feed before they go semi-inactive it doesn't suprise me you can't catch them on livers!!! rollo

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Get some power pro or suffix braid 80lb or higher. You'll have to find something else for a leader though, Same test but maybe with a coating or some big mono. Whatever you like using. I know its overkill for channels and smaller flats but You have to be prepared when that monster bites. You don't get that many chances at a 60 or 70 or 80 pounder, gotta make em count lol.