Muskingum fishing 10/17

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by s_man, Oct 18, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I went up to Ellis dam to catch shad for bait, Lots of 10 to 12 inchers in the area. On almost every toss of the net I brought in 1 to 3lb channel cats, and one 3lb saugeye. Even though the water is cold the cats were fiesty. I took my bait and headed for the riverside boat ramp. I only fished for 3 hours before it got dark but I had lots of action. First 10 minutes I had a tap/run. I thought it was a channel so I didn't engege the reel when I picked it up, I was just holdin my thumb on the spool. Mistake, the fish started pulling my tip down so fast all I could do try and set. Well it was bigger than I was expecting so when I set, the spool just slipped under my thumb letting out 3ft of line and lots of slack. I tried to re-group and clicked the handel and reeled in the slack and when I felt him I set again. I felt him for a second then the hook came loose. I'm convinced it was a big flattie or a record channel. Felt like a 5 gal. bucket in that current. About 20 minutes later I landed a 4lb channel. I was getting lots of hits from channels But I think my 10/0 hooks were to big for them, I shoulda downsized. Right before 7pm I hooked into another that felt like that first one. But I only had him for a couple seconds before that hook popped out too. They were hittin the bait but not engulfing like in warmer water. The battery was dead in my thermometer so I didn't get a reading but the water felt very cold. Using the shad as cut bait worked best, I tried two as live bait and only had a run on one then nothing so I switched them to cut also. I wish I had gotten out before 4pm cause it got dark in just 3 hours. And there was too much debris coming down from the rain.

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    well at least you got out and had some fun

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Yea, it wasn't too bad. Nice 65 degree weather, overcast skies. Not bad at all the river was only up 2ft from the previous nights rain, but it was rising all the time. I set up along the bank about the middle of a 200 yard hole cause the current was noticeably slower there. I was casting out the back of the boat. Spreading my lines from 10 to 15 deep on a easy sloping ledge. Most hits came from the bottom of the ledge in 15 feet of water. All my hits came from the area where the faster (main) current met the slower bank current.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a good time with some shad for later. Congrats bro.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like some quick action......too bad the sun went down:sad2: I wish I coudl get into some shad like that in my area. get a few here and there, but from shore, the big ones are harder to come by. Your post just makes me want to get out even more than before...........Darned work:big_smile: