muskingnum river

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tspergin, Aug 16, 2005.

1. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    anyone fishing the mighty muskingnum

2. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Hi Tony. Finally got the boat on the Muskingum last night. Launched at the public ramp in McConnelsville. Caught a 17 lb. flat on a large gill up by the Malta Dam and a 7lb. channel and a huge carp on catalpa worms in about 20 foot of water. Couldn't believe how shallow alot of the Muskingum is, had to use the trolling motor in a foot of water up by the dam and most of the time we were in 3 to 4 foot of water. Seen alot of big flats on the fish finder but they were always chasing a ton of baitfish and couldn't get them to bite. Next time I am going alot earlier in the day and find some deep holes and do some exploring. Abu

3. Warhead Garcia

Warhead Garcia New Member

State:
    Shawnee Ohio 43782
    unfortunately Abu was the only person on the boat who didn't reel something in :cursing:. JJ Fuchs pulled in a very blue channel cat, John Fuchs pulled in a carp (both of which were caught on fresh catalpa worms) and last I pulled in a 15-16# flathead. We didn't get any pictures :rolleyes:.

4. CatfishKochy

CatfishKochy New Member

I've been fishing up in the Dresden area of the river, it is awful low. Catching 5-8lbers flatheads, but nothing real big. I think the river being low is making it tough!

5. atreyu44

atreyu44 New Member

State:
    Oakfield,Ohio
    Me and my dad has been fishing there all summer.Havn't caught much but i caught a 44lb flathead.

6. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I'm thinking about fishing the muskingum soon.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I've fished it mighty hard up here at coshocton. Several 3-5 pounders, but nothing large. Water is very low. Went to ellis (lock 11) Wed during the day could ONLY fish at the dam 3pound channel and a squealer. Think I am going to Salt Fork tonight or the river. Real low there too. LOL Think this mist today will raise it any?

8. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Fished the Muskingum last night. Had lots of good baitfish and never got the first bite. Fished at the McConnelsville Dam and the river was up some from last week but still not much. Got bored and rode up to Eagleport Dam and no bites there either. Raining pretty hard here right now and hope it stirs up the Muskingum and gets the fish moving. Going to try it again tomorrow. Usually catch a flat or two from the Muskingum but the last two trips have been disappointing. I am sure this rain will help and I never give up on the Mighty Muskingum. Abu

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hope this rain from Katrina can help get the waters back up to normal.

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Abu,
    You, Tony and I need to get together and hit the river. It's not that far away. We'll have to see when we can get all open at the same time.

11. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Clarence,
    The Muskingum for flats or Buckeye Lake for channels, both sound like a great plan to me. I can bring my boat to the river (15' Jonboat with a 9.9 Johnson) or bankfish if the river is rough. I know the river best from Malta Dam on down to the next lock, a couple deep holes I have seen some monster flats on the fish finder. Like to see you break-in the new Ambassadeur 7000 with a big ole flat. If we go to Buckeye I would definitely bring the boat. Give me a PM a little in advance when you and Tony are able to go and I will do my best to get the night off. I have went to Dillon Spillway a few times this year but never had time to make plans. Abu

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I plan on putting that reel on a Quantum Big Cat rod (heavy) with some Power Pro line. I will let you know ahead of time. I'm going to send you a pm on times I go and maybe we could hook up. ;)

13. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Went to the Muskingum in the Malta area last night. River was up and I would not have wanted to be out in a boat, current was heavy and huge logs and trash were flying down the river all night. We had to fish in close from the bank or we would have never got done unsnagging logs. We had 6 poles in the water, never got a run. Threw several different baits at the flatheads, all baits were nice and lively and still no takers. Even tried cutbait near the end of the night with no action. It seems like when they hit they don't care what bait you give them as long as they are in the mood to eat. Better luck next time, can't be any worse than the last 3 trips. When the river slows the boat will be back on the water. Sometimes it gets frustrating sitting in the same spot on the bank without a bite, with a boat I can move along and try somewhere else. I have caught alot of fish from the Muskingum but this year has been slow for me. Gas prices over $3.00 a gallon but I am going to bite the bullet and hit some nice spots I know on the Ohio even though it is a good drive for me. A good night of channel catfishing at Buckeye Lake with Clarence and Tony would do me good, looks like when nobody is catching fish @ Buckeye Tony and Clarence are slaying the channel cats. Abu