Muskie rods?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ky_Katter91, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I'm probably going to spend the cold weather season stocking up on some new gear, and while I was in Indiana visiting my dad I stopped by Gander MTN; to see what kind of rods they had to offer.
    I seen a couple different Muskie Rods that I liked, and I was wondering if anyone else has used them for Flats?
    What are some pros and cons of them? I noticed they were really light, but they had a lot of back bone (and a pretty hefty price tag).
    Are they stout enough to pull a big flat off the bottom with a swift current, or hoss them out of a nasty snag?
    Thanks in advance

-Justin

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know that the st croix classic catfish rod, was made with the same blank as there muskie rod.

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Justin, IMO the muskie rods are fine. I have a couple shimano sojourn 7'. The only thing is I haven't seen one with eyes tall enough for the large capacity reels. They are fine for smaller reels like the abu 6000's and reels of a similar size. I wouldn't be afraid of hooking anything with mine. I think you can still get these rods for around $40. About 8oz of weight and a good bait is about all I feel comforatable casting with them.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a couple of muskie rods that I fish for cats and I love them. The one thing I would watch for is the same old concern over catfishing with a 100% graphite rod. 100% graphite tends to be a bit less forgiving (they'll break if you ding them). Both of the muskie rods I fish with are graphite composite (mixed with fiberglass), which makes them a lot tougher but still light and strong. The other really god thing about the composite rods is that they tend to be a lot cheaper than the 100% graphite rods.

One of mine is an Abu Garcia (found it on sale on an internet clearance site - wish I could find more - love that rod!) and the other is a Shimano. As I said, both are composite.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I use a graphite musky rod for bottom bouncing. The extra sensitivity of the graphite blank offers a little bit of advantage when you need to be able to distinguish the difference between bouncing off a rock and a fish starting to take your bait. And the lighter blank is nice for holding all day. But for general fishing, with the rod in a rod holder, I'd stick with e-glass or composite. Graphite is a lot more vulnerable to breakage resulting from what is initially minor damage, and it is also less forgiving when bent at extreme angles such as could happen when landing a big fish that decides to run underneath you.

There are a few muskie rods made from eglass, I'm just not sure what advantage they would offer over the generally less expensive eglass catfish rods that are available.

6. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks guys, I think I'll shy away from the Muskie Rods as they don't really seem to suit my needs.
    What are some good "Broom Stick" rods available for pullin mr. whiskers out of his snag or off the bottom in swift current?

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
  8. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    i use two bass pro graphite series muskie rods. get em on sale for 25 and theyre hard to beat. Real lightweight and sensitive. Plenty strong. pulled plenty of big ones upcurrent and up off the bottom.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Spotted this deal in the Cabelas Bargain Cave, a Cabelas Fish Eagle II Graphite Muskie Rod, normally $79.99, now $19.99. Only bad thing is that it's only 6'2"

I don't have one to report on, but I did order one to use as a backup rod for bottom bouncing. I expect these will sell out pretty fast.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Any of the Ugly Stik Bigwaters or the Tigers in MH or H.They wear like iron too!:wink:

11. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I use St. Croix, Big Cat, and E Cat Rods. I know they are a little pricey, but they are gonna last forever and they're not gonna break on a fish, at least not the heavy action rods.