Muskie Rods for Catfishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 12, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Alot of you all like Ugly Stick and so do I, question is are Muskie Rods good for hauling in catfish/do they have the backbone? I saw a 6' 6" Muskie Ugly Stick at BASS PRO, it was rated HEAVY---20-50 lb. line limit---pretty stout looking but didn't look as beefy as the 7' TIGERS, it is selling for 35.00 nice price for a Heavy Ugly Stick, has anyone any knowledge on how these might be for a big cat reel say a PENN 320 or JIGMASTER?

2. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    It would definatly hold up. But I think the rod is to stiff.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Opinion: Lure weight, lure weight & lure weight. Seen a few guys here that like one of there poles and not the other TILL they found out they like the heavier lure weight rod for the river fishing. The lesser ones would not cast well with the weights & baits they use ;) !

4. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    Many decades ago, before the rod manufacturers determined that there was a market for "catfish rods", many of the catfishermen were using muskie rods.

The rod should work just fine for you although I agree with Kendrick that it might be a little stiff. But I am making that judgement on what I have found to work for me where I fish.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Harvrad, I have

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Harvrad,
    I have an old SB Black Beauty 5 1/2' Muskie rod ex heavy. It has a Penn Peer 109 with 50# line. I don't use it on open water because of it's stiffness and lack of casting ability, but it's a perfect set up when I am ducking tree branches fishing those hard to reach river spots. Think about adding one to your arsenal.

7. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I've been using muskie rods for years. The best two I've found have been. ST. Croix 8' models rated up to 50lb, a real nice rod. The others are Pete Manins musky rods. The better ones are from 7'4" - 8'. Both rods are designed for big fish. I have no complaints with those rods.

8. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I think they would hold up. Musky are strong fish.

9. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    My custom cat rod has a g-loomis blank designed for musky. I love it for cats and musky.

Id say its a good choice, but thats just my opinion.

10. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I have a Penn on a Sheakespear Sturdy stick that can also be used to hit golfballs with and I love it ! its 6"6