Muskie Question

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by festus, Jan 23, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

I know some of you folks up there fish for muskie. In the last couple of months, I've lost two. The first one was snagged with a striper jig in the gill plate, about 42" long. I was in an awkward position to land it standing on slick rocks from drawdown and swift current and deep water. The hook pulled out when I tried to grab it by the gills.

Yesterday I hooked one on a leadhead and 3" grub while sauger fishing. It hit about 12' from the bank and felt like I'd snagged a submerged small log. I reeled it in slowly, it was dead weight and didn't fight at all. So I got it within 3' of the bank. It wouldn't fight, so I thought it was a sick fish. I gave it a few minutes to decide what it wanted to do. Even poked it gently with a rod holder, it just laid there and stared at me. I reached and touched it, still no movement. So I went in without getting water in my boots and started to grab it gently by the gills, and the dern thing splashed and took off like a rocket. Broke my 10 lb. test BPS mono.

Do they commonly play possum on you like this? It was a small fish, about 32". Usually how much would this weigh? A sauger fisherman out in a jon boat said he boated one over 40" there last week. This seems to be pretty good muskie water, BTW.

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Haven't fish for Muskie enough to really make a comment about them playing possum. But I have caught many fish on jigs and artificial bait that has been hooked in the gill plate in the past. I think what causes this is they have spit the bait by the time ya feel the strike and set the hook. JMHO Hope this helps ya understand part of it.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It was most likely laying up in the cold water. Those fish are real aggressive in nature. I have seen them while fishing in Minnesota take a full grown duck under. Festuse you do know they have a mouth full of sharp teeth. I love fishing for musky.

4. festus

festus New Member

I landed a muskie many years ago when I was much younger, but it was what we call hammer handles. Maybe 18" to 20" long. Every time I've hooked one I'm fishing for other species.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Musky are the fish of a thousand casts. I have had them hit the side of the boat chasing the bait on a fast retrieval. A friend of mine that does nothing but fish for musky taught me to do the figure 8 in the water with the lure before taking it out. I have caught several on that last figure 8.

6. festus

festus New Member

I know a young fellow who fishes for muskies all the time with live suckers. This is not a good method for catch and release, however. He does pretty well. But he cleans and eats the ones that get gut hooked so that's not too bad.

10 lb. test isn't strong enough for a muskie with their teeth and all. If I were targeting them specifically I probably wouldn't use anything less than 20-30 lb test.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    festus i love fishing for muskie... probobly my favorite fish to chase after... i love to catfish dont get me wrong, but when you see the wake of a big muskie chasing down a top water or inline spinner there is no bigger thrill in the world. its kinda like bow hunting and you see the big boy and you are preparing for the shot. my friend and i call it the muskie feeling.

a 32" fish is going to weigh between 5 and 8 lbs i would think. maybe more depending on the girth. its hard to tell just from a length and no more information than that. they are hard to judge though.

as for the dead weight, i would think its the time of year also. depending on the water temp. however they are a cold water fish and do better in the cooler water. i have had them do the same thing before and generally they spit the hook when that happens. they are a tricky fish. have fun catching them, and get you some bigger line and baits. your libal to start fishing more directly for them.

next time you catch one take a measurement of the girth and length, you can enter it in this calculator to estimate weight. just make sure you have the button in the left column set to muskie sauger ect.

http://www.fishdreams.com/calculator.all_species.html

8. festus

festus New Member

Yep, I got some big plugs I whittled from O'Cedar mop handles several years ago. Some of them are similar to oversized Zara Spooks, Devilhorses, and the old Dalton Special bass topwater lure. I didn't put the best paint jobs on them, but have caught a few bass on them. I have two other homemade muskie plugs I whittled to look like a redhorse sucker. Muskie lures are expensive. I got an email last night from a friend who said Gander Mtn. now has a sale on buy 5 muskie lures and get 5 for free. We have several rivers and creeks in the west side of the county that are loaded with muskie. And I used to date a girl a rew years back whose uncle at one time had the runner up largest muskie ever caught in Tennessee. He got it out of Dale Hollow lake. When her uncle died, his son sold the place and everything on it in an auction. A young boy across the street bid on the mounted muskie and got it for about $10. They also had a bunch of big homemade plugs her uncle made himself, but they auctioned the entire set at once. There were lots of fishermen at that auction. The same kid that bid on the muskie got another mounted muskie a tad smaller and a big smallmouth mount that was almost 11 pounds. These fish were caught out of Dale Hollow, too. As a matter of fact, I think the US record smallmouth was caught out of Dale Hollow. Our state record muskie came out of Norris Lake, I think it was over 42 pounds.

9. festus

festus New Member

Thanks for the fish calculator weight, Jeremy. Muskies aren't prone to hit big spoons, are they? I know northern pike like big red and white Dardevle spoons. It's so snaggy where I hooked these two fish that I'd hate to use the expensive lures down there. Those big Roostertail looking inline spinners should be awesome for muskie. I think they are just an oversized Mepps.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    When fishin for musky or northerns, its always good to have a steel leader. I caught a 44 inch muskie last spring on an orange and gold daredevel, a pretty good size one. I had 17 lb line, I thought I had a snag till he got close to the boat, then it got interesting. I had a heavy rod so I got it tired out fast, he didn't take much drag, but maybe it was set a little heavy. If I woulda got it a week later I coulda kept it but 44 inches is kinda small as muskies go, and the other guy said they ain't that good to eat. Well, I didn't realize the season wasn't open yet, so good thing we let it go. When we put it in the water it just laid there, I grabbed its tail and moved it back and forth till it got some energy, then it just swam off like no big deal. Glad I had a heavy rod, I had another rig with 12 lb line and lighter rod with less drag on the reel, if I had caught it on that I think it woulda been real hard on the fish.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    those are my favorite baits to fish.... esp in the summer and spring, and they break water when they hit them... just remember if you stall your bait out, a muskie wont hit it, you have to keep it moving. thats why you figure 8, and if there is one there just keep figure 8ing until he swims away or hits it. ill take a picture of some of my muskie plugs/spinners and post it for you.

12. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I saw that figure 8 deal demonstrated on In-Fisherman. I have never fished for them but would love to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    here is a few of my muskie lures.... that is a normal sized DVD in the middle

Attached Files:

14. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    few more

Attached Files:

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I love those rattling shad in the spring when those old dogs come out to go feeding after a winter layup. The will absolutely rip one apart hitting it. I noticed that a couple of yours had teeth marks on them. Nothing like battle scares.:laugh1: I'll dig mine out one of these days and put up a picture of them. Like you I have some triple jointed ones that are 16 inches long.

16. festus

festus New Member

Yep, I have a few of some of those baits you have, Jeremy. I got one of those Creek Chub Pikies, but not as big as your's. I think that was the bait that landed the world record. I also have some of the Magnum Rat-L-Traps, Redfins, big Fluke-type lures, and some of the 9" Wild Eyed Shad swimbaits. I read somewhere a while back that a big bass spinnerbait is one of the best lures you can get, especially with the big Colorado blades. I know where plenty of muskie waters are, just haven't fished much for them.

17. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i like the inline spinners the best, but both type can and do work. the bigger the blades the better. i prefer the musky maraboos the most, in a spinner. i use them year round. some guys dont, but i like them. im hoping to get out and go musky fishing next week. a buddy of mine and i were going to go today, but we couldnt because the water was to high and muddy. you should get to fishing for them man, you will love it. those 7 foot to 7.5 foot medium heavy rods are the good stuff for muskie fishing.

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jeremy do you live up close to cave run.

19. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    at the moment im back at school in Morgantown WV, but my house in KY is about an hour or so from there. i have fished it a few times, but i mostly have fished creeks for them... it is a really good lake to fish, and is world renowned for the fishing.

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It has some good size muskie in it. I have fished it before. The LOW in canada produces the biggest I have found. There is another lake not to far from cave run we use to fish but at the moment. OOPPSS It just came to me. Grayson we use to fish it quit often years ago.