musicians speak out!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by trippyclwn, Aug 27, 2005.

1. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    hey guys its trippy, just wanted to start a thread for my fellow musicians out there, no matter what kind of music or what you play in the band lets sound off to let people know there are lots of us out there and who knows we might form a boc band one day lol
    i'll start i play electric/acoustic and bass guitars i also sing(and scream when it calls for it lol) i write my own songs and i play rhythm guitar. i also mess around with computer drum machines a little in my spare time between fishing and learning those new guitar parts lol i like heavy metal/rap and heavy metal mixed/alternative music/grunge/rock/mainstream to a point lol classic rock/very little pop or country/ some gospel/and blues.
    so lets hear it what do you do , play, and listen to?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm very picky. Just one band and one band only. LOL! And it sure as heck ain't "RAP" LOL!

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I played clarinet and tenor sax many yrs ago. Studied music theory, music apreciation and any other music related courses in school.

I definatey prefer music to the electronic noise of today.

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I used to play acoustic guitar but its been 10 years since I have picked one up I think. My wife used to play a pretty mean harmonica back in our partying days before the kids came along, lol. My interests lie in old country, old rock area. Everything from Ernest Tubb, Hank Williams, and Faron Young to Merle Haggard, Waylon, Cash, Coe, and Hank Jr. and Hank III. I like Skynard, Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Don't care much for any of this new stuff, country or otherwise and rap grates on my mind like fingernails on a chalkboard, lol.

5. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I played bass in several east coast touring bands back in the day.I still mess around a bit with some local gigs.I play bass,drums,guitar,but it all started with a trombone,which I still have after all these years.My son is a most exellent drummer and we still jam a bunch.I like most all music.I was taught long ago to play it all if you really want to be a real deal player.Although I can do without Rap.Most of which is just stolen samples ran on a loop.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Talk about old music, I sing lead in a barbershop quartet. Most of that music is older than my granddaddy LOL. I also like 70's and 80's country and rock, and sing southern gospel as well as play my clarinet in a little community marching band once a year at our county fair.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can play the radio LOL

8. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    My wife and I play Southern Gopel music. We are forming a small group right now, I have been in several bands playing all types of music, but now all I play is gospel.

I play Guitar and Bass, and have played the drums, although I wouldn't consider myself a drummer by any means...lol.

Music to us is enjoyable and relaxing at the same time. I have found music to be a good way to fight stress...

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Well, I listen to this man's music alot and it dang sure aint rap.
    He plays a mean hammered dulcimer.

Attached Files:

• Dan.jpg
      Dan.jpg
      File size:
      59.8 KB
      Views:
  10. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    what is the deal guys i said i play some heavy metal infused rap BUT its not all i play i can do without it sometimes too but i like most kinds of music. as for zz top george good call! its not all i listen to but they are awesome.i have respect for all types of music because i actually TRY TO PLAY IT. lol its easy to say that music sucks but when you can play it and then call it crap? then you get the respect of everyone. rap is a lot of samples i agree but somebody has to come up with the samples to begin with right? lol lets just agree to disagree and please focus on something OTHER THAN RAP. but you know rappers are in a way singers too. a lot of them sing harmonies like good ole country lmao well ok thats pushing it but respect is given to every musician out there by me and congrats for making this an ongoing thread for the good of music!
    by the way this is just my opinion guys lol dont shoot me for saying it lol

11. Drk48

Drk48 New Member

State:
    Fort Smith, AR.
    Yep Bud your right about music being a stress reliever, After hearing ya'll play when we were down really brought back some old times, I still laugh when I think of the old shocker guitar, LOL,LOL.

12. Cat Tale

Cat Tale New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    EASY TRIPPY!I didn't even notice you said rap in yer post.No harm intended bro.I was just refering to my taste.I actully dig Rage,but they had musicians.And my all time fav is Frank Zappa.That cat was rap before rap knew what is was.I can do with out Gangsta rap and stolen loops.To me,using someone elses tracks is stealing.If you can play it yourself go with it!Heck,some of the most well known songs were written by someone else other than the musician that performed them.What ever you play.if you play it with all your heart and enjoy it,thats what it's all about.Play on Bro!

13. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

:rolleyes: Danny,

You just aint right Bro, bringing back those shocking memories like that...lol..

14. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    lol cat tale i'll cool down bro im just wondering how my first post got translated like that to begin with lol i like playing anything from metallica to beastie boys and from alan jackson to korn lol i have tried to play classical on the guitar but i cant play that good lol im glad i started this post to just talk about music, it really is a stress reliever unless you're trying to learn a new song lol then guitar bashing comes across your mind sometimes lol

15. Nate

Nate New Member

State:
    OH - IO
    I play acoustic and electric guitar.

Mostly old school thrash metal, classic rock and some country tunes.

16. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    nate i have been listening to a lot of megadeth lately so im with you on the thrash metal! or speed metal its the same thing i have also been playing a few old metallica songs just to get back to metal not the nu-metal stuff from these days lol but Korn is definately getting a lot heavier than they first started out.if only they used 6 strings instead of the 7 strings tuned way down lol that makes it really hard to play different songs fast lol detuning every other song lol

17. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I play a Martin acoustic guitar. I write my own music.
    Love stuff to my wife or to the Lord.
    I do play some peoples music....
    Third day mostly. People say I play and sing exactly like them.

18. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    there is nothing like making your own songs bro that way you dont hafta sing like somebody else! and you dont hafta get too uptight about a guitar part lol i like playing the acoustic because you dont hafta drag out the amp,cords,guitar, and all the effects pedals. thats too much like work just to play for an hour and then put back up lmao i seem to always start writing songs as lyrical ideas and then i put the ones together that sound like they belong there and then work on a rhythm guitar part for it my best friend plays lead guitar so after i do all that he added the solos and we were going off the bad part is NO DRUMMER! lol but somehow we made it sound good lol it would be nice to talk to him again soon and get back into an every week jam session like we used to but kids and sports and work wont let that happen anymore lol

19. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Alright guys, I listen to mostly underground stuff, some punk, DIY, hip hop and broadway show tunes, :p I'm took piano lessons for about 10 years, so I can play alot of classical. I'm teaching myself how to play the drums. Here are some of the bands I like: Hot Water Music, Alkaline Trio, Samiam, Gameface, 7 Seconds, The Get Up Kids, Doughboys, Face to Face, Hot Rod Circuit, Grade. I would say the most "mainstream" band I listen to is the Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl rocks. :rock-big:

20. DrummerCat

DrummerCat New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Currently I play nothing but covers from the 70s, 80s, 90s and up to current stuff. But my musical history started back in the day with a snare drum and two sticks playing marching band charts. That fueled the fire and I went to playing the drum set a couple of years later.

My two big influences when I first started were Neil Peart and John Bonham. I spent many thousands of hours trying to figured out what and how they were playing. I thought these guys were the cat's meow (they are). Along with them the whole LA rock scene of the early 80s was starting to explode ...namely Motley Crue. I remember the first time I heard "Red Hot" I was astounded ...double bass through the entire song ...whoa! So of course I had to figure out that style. Then one night I stumbled across and old man playing the drums on The Tonight Show. His name was Buddy Rich and I had never seen anything like him. The way I thought about drums, drummers and drumming was never the same after witnessing that onslaught. But there was no way that I was ready to try and tackle his style. After all when you talk about the great drummers there is Buddy Rich and then there is everyone else.

In 1986 RUN-DMC hit the mainstream and that was a revolution to my ears. What an incredible difference in syncopation, back beats and structure compared to most straight rock. Whether the drums were electronically produced or not didn't phase me. Some human had to invent those beats and man were they funky. After a few years of being influenced by RUN-DMC, PE, Beasties etc. I started tracing back the lineage of this type of music and I found myself enmeshed in the world of old school funk ...James Brown, Parliament etc.

The more I learned about funk and the musicians that played it the more diverse my drumming became. Old school funk lead me back to Bebop, swing, fusion and all the jazz greats ...drummers like Big Sid Catlett, Tony Williams, Joe Morello, Elvin Jones, Chick Webb etc.

By the 90s my style was mainly rock based but I had a funky/jazzy signature to my drumming. And then I took up with a gigging country band. Which may sound easy but it is actually a lesson in drumming discipline and I learned a lot ...dynamics, sticking etc. but one of the biggest thing I learned was that sometimes "less is more".

So here I am today, my drumming style is as varied as my fishing arsenal. If you heard me play you might hear a Public Enemy or RUN-DMC track mixed into AC/DC tune, or a John Bonham fill mixed into a Stevie Wonder song, there just ain't no telling. There is no right or wrong as far as drumming styles go. The more well rounded you are, the better drummer you are. I know guys that are technically brilliant, but they couldn't lay down a 2/4 groove to save their lives and that just ain’t right.

There is not really any style of music that I do not like. I've been influenced by Rock, Rap, Jazz, Fusion, Country, RockaBilly and a few other styles I can't even remember right now. There are many times I have to learn songs that I initially do not like but after learning it I usually have a new respect for the song, or at least find something good about it.

As far as posts go this is one has to be my personal “inagaddadavita” it just keeps going and going …lol.