Musical instruments. Who plays them and what kind?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by copycat, Jun 13, 2006.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Just wondering how many folks play an instrument? I play guitar and have for 25 years. I like to compose musical pieces in different styles like blues, classical and rock. I wish I could sing but that ain't happening. I also played in a band during the 1980s. Just curious what anyone else plays and what style?

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Drums, classic rock...Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Cream....anything classic pretty much

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I play the drums, have been playing them for about 5 years, I don't practice as much as I use to because I fish so much now...LOL

My dad has been playing guitars for about 35 or so years, not trying to brag or anything, but he actually is really, really, good. He use to be in a Rock band, he wrote the music, his Bass Player abandoned them right before they made it big time and went to the band "Bens fold five" which is a pretty big band. The drummer is now in "Stomp" the ones that bang on trashcans and stuff....LOL

Zakk

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey Zakk, Braggings OK! lol
    I what to hear about all musicians and their talents!

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I am fairly accomplished on the piano and try to play the guitar. I played a bit in HS but gave it up. I received one as a gift this past Christmas. Luckily I can use my voice as an instrument also, I've been singing since I could talk. I played the clarinet and oboe in HS also, but can't really remember much of that anymore. Hey, we could form the BOC band!:big_smile:

6. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    All I can play is the radio.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I play the "SWINET" LOL! Need I explain! LOL! If ya don't know I'll PM ya the answer. LOL!

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used to play clarinet then switched to Tuba. I like to believe that I could still pick one up and make some sort of pleasing noise with it.

Most recently... I was a voice music major in college. For one year. Then I realized I had an OK voice, but not good enough to make a career with it (though it is still better than some of these "professional" singers).

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I used to bend some strings on the guitar, and I'd blow a few notes on the harmonica, but I haven't done either in over a year. Believe it or not I started working too much and didn't have time for 'em, so I put them down. Hopefully not for good.

-Red

10. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I play percussion (ex. drums) for my schools concert band. I would play for the marching band but I would rather play football instead.

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i play guitar and i pick everything from country to metal

12. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Well, I don't know if you can describe what I do a "playing" or not but I mess around with guitar. I didn't even start until I was 32 and now I'm 51. I like country, blues, and some rock. Some people tell me I can sing but I would at best I would call it a "little singing". No picking from me, just chords and not all that many of them.

13. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I play guitar, Dobro, bass, drums, some piano, write, and sing. Played drums in Pres. L. Johnsons inaugaration parade with St. Johns Military Academy Marching Band, then switched to guitar and majored in Classical Guitar in college. Now I play with a blues band and do solo gigs and sat in with some big name guys from Boston to Miami. Been playing since 1962. Still do a lot of big outdoor blues festivals from Baltimore to Charlotte. I'll be playing tomorrow night in Roanoke, Va.

14. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Been playing (hence my user name) for 27 year's.Mainly C/W with classic country bein' my favorite.As of late I been playin' a lot of country gospel & southern gospel.I just shelled-out $3500. for a new Yamaha Maple Custum kit.Had 'em 6 months and they never been out of their boxes.

15. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas

BOC band,Not a bad idea.We can gig at all the gathering's(and probably scare all the fish away)

16. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Im a drummer since twelve mostly heavy metal hardcore I was original drummer fo a band called E-Town Concrete theyre very big in the seen up her now But since I stopped smoking funny cigarettes I dont have the same enthusiasm Id rather devote what free time I have to fishin or hangin with you guys cause the people in the music seen up here these days have way to much interst in outside insperation.Plus I only listen to old school country now which is very boring to play if you were a heavy drummer

17. Back when I was in the Marines our company took a trip down to Australia for a joint operation. When we got some shore leave some of us went shopping while others went drinking. Myself and my good friend went into a store with didjeridoo's. After hearing them and seeing how easy they were to play I decided to get myself one. the price tag was 160 bucks!I But at that time one american dollar could almost be used as two dollars down there so I got a bargain. I got to be really good on it, but couldnt master the art of circular breathing. Where you can breath in and out at the same time almost in rhythm. That was the only obstacle holding me back from being darn good. Since I moved back home and have taken the didj everywhere I went I just leave it collecting dust. Saddest part of the whole story once I moved here to Cali I accidentally dropped it and a chunck of wood broke off of it now it sounds like crap. I never know when I will be able to repair it. It is a one of a kind item and it was a special memento of my time in the military. Someday I will master it and hopefully be able to impress people again.

18. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    i play clarinet

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I play some chords on the piano, can play the clarinet for about 15 minutes til the lips give out, and sing in a barbershop quartet.

20. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I started playing the trumpet at age 10.:confused2: I went to college and got a music degree. I can get around on any wind instrument especially if it's a brass. (not that you'd enjoy listening to it!!). I played trumpet in the United States Air Force Band for 11 yrs, taught a lot privately and even taught music in public school (jr high) for awhile after I left the AF. I gigged around with a lot of mickey bands before, during and after my time in the service. The trumpet is the only instrument you would've ever wanted to hear me play. Right now, you wouldn't want to hear me even play that, I haven't owned a trumpet for going on 6 yrs. now. I clunk around on the piano once in a while helping my teenage daughter with her music, she's a singer. I always wanted to play bass guitar like Bootsie Collins or Rick Danko :smile2: