Music while fishing??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mhbomber, May 21, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    Does anyone here listen to the radio while fishing from a boat? Is it just a myth that listening to music will create vibrations in your line and scare away the fish? Obviously I am not talking about blasting the radio as loud as it goes...thoughts??

2. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I dont know... If i were to it would be heavy metal :0a6: wich might scare fish... heh

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Catfish love the Crazy Frog

[youtubevid]XkHm8uUuT0o[/youtubevid]

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I have wondered the same thing about listening to a radio when fishing. But I think someone has to much time on their hands to come up with crazy frog.

Tom

Kansas_Catcaller likes this.
  5. roostermandave

roostermandave New Member

State:
    Cypress Bayou, ARKANSAS
    who ever made that,is diffently a master programer, that was so kool, i like the frog i have to admit it, he was just awesome....

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Dont know when im fishing i like it quiet.I like to hear all the wildlife and the sounds of nature.

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Music would diminish my appreciation of the jet-ski concert!!

8. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    If they`re hungry, they will bite.

9. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I enjoy the quiet also, but I will listen to a Braves baseball game from time to time. I have caught many fish while the radio was playing...

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats why you never hard mount a stereo in your boat. if you want to listen to music, take a small radio and keep it low.

11. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I like to take along a little transistor radio to listen to games or maybe some music, but I keep it turned down. Don't wanna drown out the sweet, sweet sound of that clicker.

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brothers and Sisters;
    I don't think it's so much the music {within reasonable tolerances/limits} but the sound of a tackle box being dropped on the floor of the boat, stumbling across the boat, falling on the deck or seats, slamming a rod against the side of the boat, an anchor chain rubbing against the side of the boat as it heads for the bottom or is being hoisted up the same way, or any other such Loud, unexpected/unnatural noises that scares them more.
    I honestly think certain sounds might actually tempt a Catfish's interest, especially sounds that it associates with food, mating, ect. Sound is part of a fishes world, any fish, and I think science is just beginning to discover how to make it work for us.
    I know the tournament Bass circuits are now using those "sound" lures and all. I don't think it will be too long before the technology, no matter how feeble the first attempts are, will bleed over into the other fish species that we seek.
    Just my two cents worth but if there is any truth to the idea of making sound work for us or helping us to catch more/larger fish you can bet some lure maker will pay the scientists for the info and tests and then market a lure of some kind using some kind of sound and swearing it will improve your catch rate 100% or more!
    I think what would be more likely at first is the 100% catch rate will be the people with more money than sense that will be 100% CAUGHT by the advertising of the Lure Manufacture! At least in the very beginning.
    As I said, just my two cents worth.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

13. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I am sure fish are used to hearing a variety of surface noises and the radio would not be a sound that would cause them to flee. I would say if you want to listen to music, then do so. I really don't think you listening will help or hender you fishing trip.

14. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Dosent matter to me if there is music or not, The sound of my bait runner is enough music for me.

15. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I'll let you know after my fishing trip 2nite. I plan on taking a radio with me. If i dont get anything in the first hour.......the radio will be swimming with da fishes.LOL!

16. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Sounds do affect fish, both to attract them and spook them. As was mentioned before, bang clanging in the boat is not good but think about rattle baits, buzz baits and poppers. All make sounds that say "food is on the table" There was an experiment a few years back where underwater speakers were installed in a saltwater fishing boat and different types of music was played at various volumn settings. Country and 50's rock and roll played at mild levels actually did attract more fish than any other kind...

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i like to listen to mike shannon call the cards game when im fishin. i find that blasting black sabbath scares em right into the boat:smile2:

18. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Music has more of a negative influence on catfish activity than most people think. It's not the type of music that matters, but the volume associated with the music. Most people are unaware that sound travels through water 50 times faster than through air. This means that catfish are very aware of the sounds around them. Sure, they become accustomed to certain sounds (ducks, birds, current hitting a snag, etc.), but they can most certainly distinguish non-natural noises. Trophy size fish don't grow to huge proportions because they are stupid.

If you want to do an experiment, the next time you are on a very hot bite where you are catching lots of fish, simply turn up the music to a very loud level and you will find that your hot bite will no longer be such a hot bite. However, with time, if you leave the radio on long enough, the fish will eventually become accustomed to the constant noise and will not be as weary.

If you observe fish behavior long enough, you will find that fish are very aware of their surroundings and are creatures of habit. Catching them in their environment is typically easiest when you don't introduce lots of foreign noise to the equation.

19. thex1224

thex1224 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    As a bass fisherman fisrt and a catfisherman second, i have to admit i have my reservations about a radio. Before i could afford a boat, i fished as a non boater in a bass club with a guy who wanted to run his radio all the time. I coulent defenetly tell a difference in the bits we would get shollow as apposed to fishing deaper water, with and with out the radio. I think alot of it has to do with the water depth, and how close to he boat you are presenting your bait to the fish. I asume for the most part it applies the same way to cats....

20. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When things are slow little bluegrass on the bank or boat seem to work for me....Lots of songs about rivers and that all time favorite "Catfish John!!