music talk 101 and questions about music

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by trippyclwn, Nov 28, 2005.

1. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    hey guys its been a while since i posted here so i was just wanting to start this out again. i havent got much time for fishing lately so i have been picking up my guitars and pen and paper lately so if there are any music recommendations or you just need to know how to start out playing an instrument or need help on tuners and equipment feel free to ask and i or someone else on the boc will help you figure it out!
    have fun and let us know !

2. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Just learned to tune my guitar to open D, I really like the sound. But as for playing actual songs I am at a loss. Music theroy is not one of my strong points.
    Is it all hit and miss or is there some guarded secret that only the oldtimers know about?

3. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I rented a video from netflix on how to play a guitar and it was pretty good. They have a few the good thing is you can keep it for as long as you want.

4. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    lol catman i know the feeling man i can play guitar by ear but the scales and theories are way beyond my mental capacity and if they weren't i would have trouble remembering all of em lol i just try to learn by guitar magazines and web tablature it is great for learning song by song and they have several chord charts floating around the web too hope this helps man

5. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Thanks for the replies guys. Been down that song by song road all my life, and also tried a few of those how-to books and vidios. They have basicly been of the song to song style pretending to be informative. I can play in standard tuning and was wanting to figure out how to convert a song, any song into open D because in my opinion the open D tuning sounds to me like it would fit right in with some of the old time/ bluegrass songs. :0a36:

6. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    catman sorry im so late replying but i havent heard of open d tuning im still trying to figure out how to tune down 2 steps without an octave pedal lol

i have a new peavey guitar amp i bought from a guy i work with and have been trying to find my "sound" and i hafta buy a new ac adapter so i can use my pedal through it for a more personal style.
    most of the tunings i've used were standard,dropped d,and half step down which is signature jimi hendrix tuning lol how else can he stretch the strings like that ? lol

does anybody recommend a tuner that tunes to all alternate tunings? the one i have is a basic one no alternate tunings at all so i do need help finding a good one i can actually use all the time recommendations?
    thanks yall

7. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    i have often found writing blocks and walls i run into when i play guitar for a while i have often found that after hitting the wall of uncreativity the best way to get around the wall is patience!

i usually put the guitar down for a month maybe a little less but i found after doing so the wall is more like a speedbump and you can feel like your even better at playing!

this doesnt work all the time but it works enough to get the creative "juices " flowing lately i picked the guitar back up and even play bass guitar too! its confusing going back and forth but it can be done lol

i found an adapter for my zoom 505 pedal so i have distortion again! lol
    if you are strapped for cash buying a guitar pedal the zoom pedals are the way to go around 60$ at musiciansfriend.com and samash usually has some decently priced pedals if you have the time to look for em.

sometimes all you need is a new effect to get creative again! like use a phaser or flanger to your arsenal and see how much wild stuff you can come up with!

in closing i guess sometimes the best method is something new to give you the kick in the butt, that we all need at times! lol

8. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    sorry my puter froze up i didnt think the first post went through

9. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Trippyclwn. Thanks for the reply. As for open D tuning Tune from low to high
    D A D F# A D Open D

E A D G B E Standard tuning

Open D has a good ring to it and fretting all six strings in any possition will make a chord relative to that position ie.. fret 2=E fret 3=F fret 5=G and so on. Thats about all I know so far.

:0a26:

10. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    thanks catman! if i can ever get the hang of my new tuner i'll try it out it sounds pretty cool im used to the d-a-d- tuning but the bottom 3 string tunings are new to me lol

i have been getting much better lately i was playing songs with cds the other day lol it wasn't a fool-proof jam but it made me know i could hang with em! lol

i have been going almost every wednesday to my best friends house to play guitar and bass and we keep steppin up every time so maybe we can get our butts in gear before much longer and start recruiting singers and drummers and maybe a keyboard player too why not? lol

11. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    i used to play guitar up to 6 hours a day to get where i am at. also, not a day would go by when i wouldnt pick up my guitar. but guess what happened. wife, kid, house. lol. but im not complaining. i love em dearly and i still play every now and again. if youve got the time, the best way to get good is to practice, practice, practice. there really is no easy way.

12. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Thanks for the replies. Just been messing around with that open tuning. Don't think that it can be used for a lot of music...capo ?? mayby. Practice is the best way to learn but I practice by myself with no one to call me down so I think that wrong is right most of the time ha..ha.

13. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    snake i used to practice all the time too bro it got to where i wasnt getting good at new songs i was getting better at the older ones lol pretty soon the memory starts messing with you and you forget the old ones trying to learn new ones and then you start going in circles again lol or maybe its just me :p i have been learning old metallica songs for a few weeks now and im starting to remember a few more guitar or bass parts better.

you ever wanna get completely confused try playing guitar and bass for an hour every night! lol i've been playing guitar on and off since i was 18 and i'm 31 now i should be the master at one style or another but im still struggling to get back to the "good old days" when i could play most of the songs i was trying to learn by ear.

the one thing that got me playing better than i could before is my best friend preston, he has made me step up to the plate musically and i still keep up with him most of the time lol
    a better person will always bring you to the point where you either bow down and worship em or get your game face on and show em what your capable of! lol
    im glad i have other people like you guys who are willing to talk about music and make me know you love playing it, you may have just caused someone else out there to step up and rattle the house! lol
    stay cool and keep up the great work yall!!!!!!!!

14. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    i play lead guitar in a cover band. learn new songs pretty often and forget the old ones if i don't play them every once in a while. but u got to pick it up a little every day to keep it fresh in your mind. fishing, hunting and playing guitar....what a life:)