Mushy Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by rmoran171, Jan 6, 2008.

1. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    How do you keep your shad from getting mushy after you thaw them out?
    Do you just put them on the hook frozen and let them thaw out in the water?
    Whats the best way to preserve them and keep them as fresh as possiable when you freze them?

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    thats what i do take them frozen solid cut off chunks /bait and throw only takes about 5-10mins to thaw and get jiucy in the water ~ usually start getting bites withing a few minutes

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dont thaw them out keep them on ice and as froze as possible, cut when frozen.

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I tried the liver trick with panty hose on some mushy ones this summer.Had some decent hits thats about it.I also toss a bunch in the blender for chum and it brought in some small channels.

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fished Sat. with some frozen shad that I took out of the freezer 2 days befour fishing , put them in water with pickling salts, seamed to firm them up some . They stayed on the hook fine. It was a real slow day no cats were bitting on any thing. I may try it again another day.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've done so poorly with frozen shad that I won't bother freezing them any more. Now frozen skipjack are a different story entirely.

7. BMills13

BMills13 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Read an article where John Moyer and another gentleman have started to freeze or refrigerate shad for a few days to simulate winter kill shad. They also mentioned slowly defrosting them in two gallons of cool water and four table spoons of pickling salt. Toughens up the shad to improve fishability. Gonna try it this weekend.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    That might work. I've never tried it for wintertime shad. Sure sounds like it makes sense.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    that pickling salt is a good idea, I keep hearing about it and need to try it...But I usually dont use shad more than once, so if it gets thawed completely, I very rarely but it back in the freezer.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i vacuum seal mine, and whatever don't get used the first trip is thrown out, never refrozen. i roll up a couple napkins in the top of the bag so the slime doesn't prevent a good seal. if it's a local trip, cold thaw your bait in the fridge overnight, don't let it thaw in water or at room temperature. this is where it will get relly mushy. on bigger shad, i vacuum seal them and throw them in the fridge fora day, then freeze them. that's a page out of jim moyer's book also. i have found with freezing shad, the bigger the better. 10 to 12 inch shad keep real good for me and work as good as fresh. i used to take the gizzards out and chunk up the shad before freezing, but it was always mushy no matter what i did to it. the gizzards stayed fine, but i don't want to waste a whole fish if just one piece is going to be usable. for the 3-5 inch shad i freeze a bunch at a time now. the ones on the outside of the bag ususally do get mushy, but when there's 70 in a bag it doesn't really matter, i'll throw the bad ones in as chum.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    A food saver will do wonders, one of those vacuum sealers. When I have used frozen shad I either cut in chunks, or use fillets, also try the shad guts.

12. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The foodsavers and vaccuum sealers will work great but after they are frozen and rethawed i don't think there is much you can do for them.