Mushrooms

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by primitivefrn, Mar 17, 2007.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    The false red morels are showing, up my stepdauther just, rub some in my face, been looking for a couple weeks, and she beat me to them pretty small,
    but they will sure, be good,
    should be good hunting next week.
    Jim

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What do you mean Jim? (false red morels) are poison. Is that a local term? I just don't want anyone to be mistaken if they read your post and think they can eat them. Please correct me if I am wrong.:confused2:

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I've ate red mushrooms and never have had a problem with getting sick from them. I read that there is something in them that is deadly to some people, but doesn't effect most people.

I wish I had my mushroom handbook so I could be more specific.

4. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jim,
    My Father got real sick one Spring eating some of the red ones. One Spring I found 2 large red ones (they used to call them elephant ears ) one 9 3/4 lb & one was 10 1/2 lbs about the size of a socker ball. I only eat the white one now. Good luck Paul

5. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They would have had to be pretty good size for me to find yesterday, we got couple inches of flurries on the ground !

6. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Jack as you stated, they are, listed that way, and I didnt say eat them just find them,. I think one of the keys is to slice and soak in salt water.(overnight)
    AS I told a game warden in Okla. my grandmother ate them and my momie ate them and I'AM going to, make these disappear.
    Lay all jokes aside, (If your not familiar with them, or with someone that is I would strongly say leave them a lone.) Their is alot of different mushrooms and
    some people systems are different, I guess also that why they call them false.
    White morels will come on a little later. white((morels) mushrooms and fryed crappie.
    JIM

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jim, the mushrooms and crappie sure sounds better than your shore lunch of shad sandwichs!!!

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    At this time of year in Missouri there are three mushrooms that are safe to eat: Velvet Foot Flammulina velutipes, Tree-Ear Auricularia auricula and Oyster Pleurotus ostreatus, some subspecies can get quite large, I have found them 12" in diameter in January.

9. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Jim, the beauty of where we live is we can have turkey season, mushroom season and the crappie spawn all happen at the same time. I’ve never got all three in one day YET, but we often have the season of each overlapping.

10. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Micus, thanks for posting that about mushroomexpert. I read the article at your suggestion. Russian roulette for sure.

11. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    where is the best place to find mushrooms? its going to rain all this week and be close to 70 degrees so im assuming they will be popping up alot I just dont know where.

also how do you prepare morels? I have a good way to make those little white ones you buy from the store but have never had morels. I am a big mushroom fan and think they are as good plain as they are cooked and I wanna try some morels this year. maybe ill try crappie also :smile2:

12. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Many people cook there white, yellow ,grey, charcoal grey morels with egg batter and crackers, or cornmeal & flour , or what ever they maybe cooking ther Crappie or white bass in. If you really want to know what a white mushroon taste like , first fix one of your favorite steaks cooked the way you like it best, just befour the steak is getting close to being done stirfry a few mushroons with a little onion in butter or oil and add to the top of your steak NOW YOU WILL TASTE MUSHROONS not egg batter and flour. Throw away the steak and eat the mush
    roons. I am getting hungry see you later . Paul

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Andrew, go to the yellow bar and search (morels), you will find many post covering every thing you might like to know, and a few good shroom sites too.:big_smile:

14. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Gyromitra esculenta

These mushrooms are poisonous!

The poison in false morels is MMH, or monomethylhydrazine (a chemical also found in rocket fuel). There is no question about whether it is poisonous or not. MMH may occur in different quantities in different false morels (even members of the same species), that its presence may vary according to geography, that its effect on people may vary between individuals, and that its toxicity may be cumulative (raising the possibility of eating false morels safely for years and then, one day, croaking after one bite). Clearly, MMH is not to be messed with. Even when it's not fatal, MMH is not a pleasant poison. You could be hospitalized, sick for days, or just throw up all night, depending on many factors. False morels have puzzled scientists for years because of the very narrow threshold between complete absence of discomfort and severe poisoning or even death. Do you want to approach that threshold?

15. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    This is correct, you might have been eating them with no problems, then bam its over!

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I love the yellow moral but think I'll just try and buy a few (if possible).Last time I went mushroom hunting I came back with 25 seed Ticks and NO MUSHROOMS!! Haven't been since. hate ticks.:eek:oooh: