Mushrooms

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Jacksmooth, May 1, 2009.

1. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Alot are talking about morels lately and made me think about some mushrooms I found a few years back in Canada. The guide we were hunting with said they were morels but these didnt look like any morels I have ever found. We ate them and they were pretty tastey with no ill effects. Anyone have any idea what they are? Heres a pic.
    [​IMG]

2. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They look like what are called beefsteak or elephant ears around here in Illinois, I have eaten them and I also think they are about as good as morels, I think if you do some research on them the "experts" don't reccomend eating them, I forget the reasoning but I figure the so called "experts" would not reccomend eating very much what I like--lol

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Experts don't recomend people eating them because people have died. If ya don't mind that little detail...go right ahead. :wink:

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    they are a type of "false" morels, they have what is called a cumulative toxin in them and you can eat them, but one time too many and you can die. I ate them as a kid, wouldn't touch em now.

http://www.thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html