mushrooms anyone?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by river scum, Sep 15, 2008.

1. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    has anyone been out looking for puff balls or any other fall mushrooms yet. it feels like its time up here.

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I read a post the other day somewhere that someone was finding some fall fungi...I think it was Kat in the Hat.

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    This is certainly the time and with all of the moisture, they should be lots of everything. The only ones I've collected recently were some chanterelles so I could show a guy what they looked like. Oh, and a few tree ears off the firewood.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tree ears? Fungus balls?:eek:oooh:

I thought all that stuff was poison?:confused2:

6. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    All I have to say is DISGUSTING!

Sorry people, mushrooms arent my thing... Nor tomatoes...

7. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    One would think something called a "fungus ball" would be poisonous wouldn't you? But I hear they are pretty tasty.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
  9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Puff balls are great, I would recommend them to anyone!!

10. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I havent seen any in a long time. I didnt find very many morels this year either. I didnt go out as much, but theres usually more. If that equates to same productivity of the puffballs..I have no idea.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ahh yeah... I've seen those.... so your an RC man huh? lol.

12. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Wow! those are huge. I've never heard about them before but I've seen them. How do you prepare them? Do you tend to find them in abundance or are they far and few between?

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    bill everyone knows rc is the best.:wink:

Larry, they usually grow in the company of others where i find them. we slice them 12in thick and remove the skin. dip in egg and then seasoned flower and fry in butter( you can just dip them in seasoned egg only) . i have baked them on a cookie sheet with seasoning on them too but the family prefers fried. search them on the net for identification and recipes before harvesting.

14. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I usually add puffballs to various dishes--stews, soups, etc. I've tried to get away from frying mushrooms--there are a lot of different ways to use them. Don't get me wrong, I won't turn up my nose at a plate of fried ones, I ate them fried for decades. Lay a mess of fish on aluminum foil and cover them with mushrooms & onions, wrap up & put on the grill. Can't be beat!:wink:

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    none yet here but im watchin.lol

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

The responsibility that liberty brings. Something to think about.

I'm a democrat. I still don't know what I'm gonna do. I know I'm NOT gonna base my decision JUST on what has gone on for the past 8 years.

Do I vote for the MAN? Yeah, probably so.....that's what everyone in my family always has said. Party lines? What are those? Family and religion maybe. Now you KNOW party had nothin' to do with it :wink:!

Didn't vote for Bush, and still glad I didn't. I must admit, I admire McCain. NOT because he's a war hero.

And again, I must admit, I LIKE Obama. He has a weird name, YES. I think my great-grandaddy (just one of 'em) has a weird name, Adolphus.

How much is based on what we're provided through the media? I know as far as I'm concerned it DOES influence you. Even e-mail does if you let it.

Jim (ThaWstSide?), I love mushrooms, and have only recently learned to love (well, sorta) tomatoes.

I DO like Dr.Pepper, but RC Cola was the only soft drink my grandma would let us have with breakfast.

T

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :big_smile:LOL, ummm,,, I'm just... I'm tryin' to figure out... what??:confused2::confused2::confused2:

18. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
  19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
  20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :eek:oooh:Thats wild man... must take awhile to eat all that...

Man, big mushrooms, big flatheads....... lol