Mushrooming

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by yotetrapper, Mar 3, 2007.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just wondering if any of you all go mushroom hunting in the spring? It's something I've never done ( I looked a little last spring but didnt find none) but everyone around here seems to do it. Any tips on where to look for morrells?

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Absolutely! I studied Mycology (study of mushrooms) for a few years but still a lil cautious because of look-a-likes.
    morels & truffles are where the real $ is but I just do it for fun and rarely pick them though.

3. bluehead29

bluehead29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    The best luck i have ever had was down in a small valley, it was used as a cow pasture though so there were land mines to avoid but found a whole mess right along the edge of the stream running through it.:0a26:

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The only ones around here grow out of cowpies and there not edible lol

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    A topic near and dear to my heart. I look forward every year to the picking of mushrooms. I love them. Around here the second week of April till about the end I spend a lot of time on the river bank. some years if it is extra warm i will start the first week of april.Good exercise and good eatin.

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    yes around here i look forward to the spring time every year like getting in the outdoors an doing some musroom hunting around here you can find them about every time out i find mine in olld coal mines in the squal banks an good luck on your hunting this year

7. bank bouncer

bank bouncer New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    With the snow we had it should be a good year, as long as we keep the moisture level high.

8. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Angela, we used to find morels up in Northern Michigan around the 2nd week of May or so, so for you it's probably a week or two earlier. The best areas we found had aspen trees growing in the woods and often those trillium plants, with the three-petalled white flowers. It's hard to spot the first one, but once you do... you're on your way! Oh, you can soak them in saltwater to remove any insects and then string them up with thread to dry, if you really get alot. Good luck!

9. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Do a search for mushroomexpert. Best mushroom site there is.

10. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Should be a good year here with the moisture we have had. We should be about 30-40 days from time to look here, for the Morels.
    Nothing better than fresh Crappie fillets and fried Morels.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mushrooms, mushrooms? I know nothing, I see nothing! lol
    I hope you find somebody willing to share some spots. Around here they are sought after so dearly that you are on your own to find a good woods. Very secretive endeavor. Of course I'm not at all like that. :0a10:

12. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I begin hunting them the second week of may here, or earlier if it gets real warm. Apple orchards are good, west sides facing of valleys, any heavy wood areas are good. Once you find one, stop look around, if the brush is heavy, get down on you knees and look under the brush, get allot of them
    there. Finding the first one is the toughest, be patient...you'll find them.
    If you don't mind me saying, you are one of the cuttest mushroomer I have seen. Good luck hunting, nothing better than a fresh morel.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mushroom hunting=another excuse to spend time in the woods. i love it, and cant live withought hunting them every year. look for standing dead trees. especially dead elms. drain sloughs carry spores downhill too. i've found huge patches and followed them downhill in the same path the water takes. big yellows like to grow on edges where there is a lot of green briar, and grass. good luck hunting. and, dont give up if you dont find huge patches at first...

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    When I was a young man(Almost before mushrooms were invented:eek:oooh: )my grandfather would take us out to find mushrooms for my grandmothers tomato sauce.We tended to live a lot more off the land in those days.If I wanted one of grandmas yummy blueberry pies, all I had to do was take an old glass gallon milk jug and pick it full of the local berries.In season we had blueberries,crab apples,wild raspberries,choke cherries,blackberries and mushrooms.Now my grandpa knew which ones were safe and we are all still here.Whenever I think about picking them I always think about the Clint Eastwood movie "THE BEGUILED" where the jealous women decide if one of them can't have him, none of them will have him and do away with him with poison mushrooms. I always tried to stay on my Grandmother and Mothers good side during mushroom season,HAHAHAHAHAHA:smile2: My mom had the interesting theory that if I didnt behave she could just kill me and her and dad would make another one that looked just like me.:eek:oooh: :smile2: :roll_eyes: :big_smile: :wink:

15. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ooh morrells and crappie I'm slobbering all over myself now thanks alot
    I've never been anygood at it but I always get some at the bar where I work guys come in every year and sell garbage bags full I buy them a beer and remind them I let em offload all there goods there so they had better give me some they always get bout $15 a lb
    I love em
    Trevor

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    As far as finding them,then can be about anywhere.I live near a lake with lots of public land.I try to search where little creeks drain into the lake,will walk up one side then down the other.I just concentrate fromthe edge to about 10 feet out,I go crazy trying to look at the whole woods at once...gotta narrow the area down a little.

17. Okie Jim

Okie Jim New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We find alot were a farmer or rancher had bladed a fence line the the brush the previous year or along the creek banks in the plum thickets. Dead elms are also good as mentioned above. Here we head out looking as soon as the redbud trees bloom.

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    a word of warning... If you pinch them and they stain blue, do not eat them! You should'nt eat wild mushrooms anyway uless your confident you have properly identified them. Even then, a mushroom is 90% water and the water comes directly from the substrate (ground) and if if there is any type of pollutant like Murcury, arsenic, lead or anything in, on, or around the ground then it WILL be in the mushroom. What we have come to know as a "mushroom" is actually its reproductive part/system. The actual mushroom is the mycelium (root system) underground or wherever it may be.
    All I'm saying is PLEASE BE CAREFUL!! Sometimes even if it is an 'edible variety' it can still poison you.

I have had muscraine poisoning when I was child. It scared me sure however, it struck my intrest in mushrooms. I could be considered an amature Mycologist for sure.

Have fun but by all means be aware of this ok? Enjoy!