Mushroom Hunting

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by spoonfish, Apr 3, 2008.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Anyone been out mushroom hunting yet? I've heard they are starting to find reds around here but havent heard of any morels yet. Normally it's around April 15th here when they start. Should be a great year with all the rains.
    Happy Hunting.....

2. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Reds are all I have heard so far too. Man I cant wait for a good mess of fish and mushrooms nothing better.

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I havent heard much here in the east on morels either but it should be just about time.Now to find some burnt out areas to search.

Something that goes good with fried morels are ramps but being from WV I think ramps go good with anything :wink:

Anyone have tips on finding morels and or ramps?I am still not very good at it.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jerry, Ive never heard of ramps. What are they?

Josh, I plan to get a bunch of crappie fillets starting tomorrow night. :big_smile: We just need the temps. to stay in the 50's for a few nights and the mushrooms will be on.....

Oh man, doesnt get any better than a plate full of each....:002:

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I been out 4 or 5 times and haven't seen any. Nobody i've spoken to has had any luck yet either. I think we need some good warm sunshine and them babies outta start bustin out. Oh yhea, they go well with fryed turkey breast also.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Troy, they're in the onion family......grow mostly in the Appalachian Mountains. It's a wild leek. Here ya go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek

We get to hear about 'em on the news here every year. I've never had any, but folks love 'em.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Most of the scroom "hunters" here in Indiana aren't after the mushrooms but planting something else this time of year. LOL
    :smile2:

8. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I seen a picture of a morel that was found close to camdenton, mo. last week
    found by a fireman working on a brush fire that was the size of coffee cup.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here in Northern Indiana the morels are up when the Lilacs start blooming. Buds are starting to crack open on the Lilacs, it will be a while yet.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I can't wait for the mushrooms to start popping. There is nothing better than a fried crappie, morels, and fried tators lunch:big_smile:

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    When the soil temp hits 50 in your area is when to start.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
  13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i havent been mushroom hunting in quite some time. thats a good idea

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    It was 80 degrees here yesterday. They should be coming up within the next week. The baby ticks are lousy here allready, sprayed the yard yesterday.

I got the crappie fillets, whos got the mushrooms......:002:

15. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Troy, I say after we catch our limit saturday morning we find some shrooms, lol

16. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    I will be there with my appetite. So boys let me know when its ready to eat.:big_smile:

17. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i found 1 nice yellow one today in a spot where i always find them about a week or so before anywhere else.should'nt be too much longer.the crappie we've been catchin are full of eggs and gettin mushy.i give them about another 7-10 days

18. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My friend in Southern Indiana today reported NO SHROOMS yet! Seems like they are running a little late he's usually about 1 week ahead of Indy. I watch the Red Buds as well as the Lilacs.

19. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    We looked Wednesday evening for a little bit and found two fresh red mushrooms. Another guy here in Gasconade County found a good mess of yellows and greys in a river bottom area.

*Dreams of fried crappie fillets and fried morels for lunch and dinnner* :big_smile:

20. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went out near my work yesterday. I was looking for them behind an old stable around old piles of sawdust. I found these little yellow rimmed purplish mushrooms. they smelled good, so i ate them. Man I feel funny ! LOL