Mushroom hunting

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Feb 15, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When spring comes, my thoughts turn towards two things, fishing, and hunting Morel mushrooms. Depending on the weather here in southern Ohio, the Morel season almost always starts in early april. The first Morels to appear are dark, or black in color..When hunting the black Morels, I always look for Ash trees to begin my search. Black Morels seem to grow better around these trees. Later in the season, around mid april you will start to find the white Morel. Dead or dying elm trees are top areas to search. You can find the white Morels in the dead bark at the base of elm trees, if you find such trees make sure you cover these areas well. The last Morel to arrive is the yellow Morel, I have found the areas around elm and ash trees to produce yellow Morels. I have also found large patches growing along railroad tracks.

Attached Files:

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Man i wouldnt know which ones to pick be my luck i would get the ones that kill you or make you trip:crazy::eek:oooh:.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also look for beer and pop cans in the woods! You would be suprised how many people think they need to mark their honey patch they stumbled upon, so they can find it the next year! I have found many morels in areas where someone wedged a can in a tree or stuck it in the ground. Kinda like bankfishing in that secret stretch of river. If you don't want anyone to know your there or were there, then why leave them Y sticks you used for rod holders stuck in the ground? That is a tell true sign for a man scouting the river from a boat!:wink: rollo

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Yep, this is another thing I will look forward to since my return to Ohio ... The only bad thing is most every place I used to hunt and find them is now a housing addition ... damn I hate progress .... :angry:

Attached Files:

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Used to love to mushroom hunt when a bit younger. Getting lazy I suppose.
    No seriously I hate ticks .Last time I went found no mushrooms (however) 25 seed ticks found me.Haven't went since. And I was only out there for 30 mins.One of the reasons I like boat fishing NO TICKS.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    You want to get the ones under the cow patties :wink::smile2:

7. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    here area few that i found at the begining of last year had a good year to say the least if all the snow that we are getting this year should be a good one to as for finding them that is the first place that i look is under elms i dont know what makes them hold there but they do

Attached Files:

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yous guys are playin with emotions-I cant wait fer a fresh filet of Kity and some fresh schrooms with a cold one...I eat em once or twice a year unti I am just about sick then I am good fer a year,I am gettin ancey and ready for Spring to come so I can hit my honey hole,At my uncs in this one spot I have found a pound or more for 4 years straight so I dont have to look hard or get all ticked up....Ofcourse I have to share with me unc but I aint greedy....as long as he buys the beer:wink:
    I read you dont find them in the same spot...but I will argue that to the end cause Unc has for years.You have to make sure you shake them .

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Yeah ... Gary .... bring those to the sinker get-together ... we will have a real party ........ :eek:oooh:

10. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Wow cant wait to cook some up!
    My father has took me the last couple years.
    We dont get togeather much. But Im starting to injoy spening time with dad.
    Things you learn with age.Dont eat the wrong ones . You will end up in jail!
    My one buddy marks his spot with cans!

11. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Don't forget to look in your back yard for mushrooms too. I cut down a pine tree 8 years ago and the following spring I got about 50 morels from where it was that year. Even with that tree gone it's still a shaded spot and I still get 30-40 a year from there, 100 feet from my back door.
    Gotta give the credit where it's due, was my son, who was 4 at the time, who found em and showed me. Thanks son, I woulda mowed em down not paying attention.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    whats your address? and what hours do you work? lol..rollo

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rollo I will help let me know:wink:

14. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    who doesn't love a good pan full of cooked morells. i found a few on a property i take care of and the homeowner came out and pointed me in the right direction and i found a patch that was 10 feet by 10 feet it was crazy there were a few that were burned by the sun but over 90% were just fine

15. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You will up your numbers if you look under Apple,Wild Cherry and Ash trees too.:wink:

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have seen these Morels everywhere around here. I didn't know they were edible....Now where did I see them things at?:embarassed:

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Brother this is the only thing that happens that competes for my fishing time. I love to hunt mushrooms. Unfortuneatly my opportunities have been limited these past few years due to my job.

18. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    mushroom huntin is almost here...i cant wait . pan fried in butter .. yuuuuummmm!!!

19. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I for one am dying to get out and find some morels, hopng this season isn't as wierd as last year's with the cold snap in April making them all come on at once. Don't forget Tulip Poplar trees support the mycelium as well as Ash, Elm, Apple as mentioned before. A nice combo of Tulip Poplar and Elm can really make a sweet spot.
    Some pics of past years finds:
    http://www.ohiosevere.com/morel.html

20. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I've noticed noone is offering up to many of these prime locations............come on guys give it up.