Mushroom Hunting..

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DryHole, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. DryHole

    DryHole New Member

    Messages:
    56
    State:
    Katy Texas
    Any other members also hunt Mushrooms?
    I have been doing this for many years and I have a passion for Mushroom Photography.
    I just figured Id share a few..
    This is a Shaggy Main and is a choice edible.
    [​IMG]
    This is a small batch of Honey Mushrooms and are also edible.
    [​IMG]
    Snail on an unknown mushroom.
    [​IMG]
    This is a White Destroying Angel (Amineta) Its Deadly and will kill you!
    [​IMG]
    This is an Earth Star. Its in the Puff Ball family.
    [​IMG]
    This is an Fly Argaic. Its considered toxic.
    [​IMG]
    And a nice bunch of Oyster Mushrooms.. They are delicious....
    [​IMG]
     
  2. Ol Man

    Ol Man New Member

    Messages:
    3,170
    State:
    Illinois
    Years ago, I was into hunting morels... I made myself sick on them once and haven't had the desire since... It was fun though... Nice pictures, thanks for sharin'. Several there I'm not familiar with.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Avarice hoards itself poor; charity gives itself rich.
    (German proverb)
     

  3. laidbck111

    laidbck111 New Member

    Just my luck. The ones you have labeled unkown and poisonous look a lot like what grows all through my yard. Nice pics though.
     
  4. billcatfish

    billcatfish New Member

    Messages:
    1,571
    State:
    evansville Ind
    nic pic thanks for sharing
     
  5. kat in the hat

    kat in the hat New Member

    Messages:
    4,875
    State:
    Missouri
    Awesome photos!! I love mushrooms. I hunt for morrells every spring. I have some photos of the death angel as well, but not on digital. Those really are great pictures. I hope you have framed some.
     
  6. Catgirl

    Catgirl New Member

    Messages:
    13,546
    Really nice photos, Scotty! For the last four or five years, I've looked for mushrooms in late summer/autumn, seems to be the time they are most abundant in my area. What sort of reference do you use for identifying them? I have the "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms". It seems to be pretty comprehensive. I still don't have enough faith in my identification skills to try eating any of 'em though :roll_eyes:. Some of the scary ones look quite similar to others which are edible. Have you ever tried eating an "Old Man of the Woods"? That's the only one I've found that I am SURE of exactly what it was....my book says it becomes unappetizing as it ages.
     
  7. DryHole

    DryHole New Member

    Messages:
    56
    State:
    Katy Texas
    Hey Cat,
    Naw I have never found The Old Man as of yet.
    As for edible Mushrooms I have located Chantrales,Agaricus(white buttons) A few edible strains of Lepiota's,Reshi (used in herbal teas).
    White Puff Balls,Boletous,and some Ear's..
    As for Poisonous or Toxic Mushrooms id have to say most of the mushrooms are poisonous or toxic..

    I have hundreds of photos and have actually only been able to ID a small ammount.
    I have the Audubon Society's book and it does take a bit of homework to fully understand the referances.. But when you get it down it helps a bunch.
    Good Luck and feel free to PM me if you want to see a string of Photos..
    Scott
     
  8. kat in the hat

    kat in the hat New Member

    Messages:
    4,875
    State:
    Missouri
    It must be said that there is sort of a myth surrounding inedible fungus. While some shrooms WILL KILL YOU usually by causing kidney failure, and dehydration from vomiting, inedible usually refers to the mushrooms either not being palletable, or our stomachs connot digest them properly. Some people have alergies to virtually all fungus, be it mushrooms or mildew or anything in between. Missouri Conservationist once published a guide to inedible mushrooms to help people avoid them. The next month, a mycologist wrote back saying he has eaten every one on the list with the exception of one, saying while most of them don't taste good, you can eat them. I personally don't recomend this, but unless you are alergic, with the exception of the destroying white angel, and maybe a few toadstools, you are probably safe. Even with amanita muscaria (fly agaric) it takes a pretty huge dose to kill an adult. Personally I stick to morrells, and dog d$%ks. I have yet to eat chantrells. I want to, but not sure the best way to prepair them. I have seen Emril make wild mushroom soup with them that looked good, but I'm no Emeril.