Mushroom hunting

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by brad kilpatrick, Mar 12, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Anyone found any morels Yet???? Thnik it might be a little early yet but just wanted to check

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to love to hunt morels, now with my limited time off work I chose to fish instead..I did find this nice mess a few years ago.

Attached Files:

3. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I've never even heard of doing this before I came to this board. Whats the deal with hunting morels anyways? Where are good spots to find them? And how do you tell if they are morels or not? I don't want to go and pick up any hallucinogenic mushrooms thinking they are morels lol.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A little early here in central Ohio yet. When you do go out and get some, remember O'le Uncle Scifi and pick one for him - it was one of his favorite pastimes. Maybe he will lead you to some more! :)

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a darn fine mess, Flathunter!
    Thats one thing I am going to be sure and do at Salt fork during slack fishing hours at the gathering. Some real nice looking spots on the back side of the lake! I got there to late last year for them, but that weekend should be prime time.;)

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Jack thats one heck of a haul!!! hope Ya had some nice crappie fillets to go with those.....don't get much better then fresh crappie fillets and morels!!!! YUM!!!!!

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Little early yet for Morels, but I bet this warm weather has the Oyster mushrooms starting to go. If we don't get some serious rain we may not have a morel season:sad:

8. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    now brad there ya go making every1 hungry for mushrooms and crappie, if it was me though i wood do deer steak, mushrooms and a side order of catfish..

Great haul there flat... i'll get the crackers and eggs you bring the shrooms..

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hallucinogenic mushrooms are the best.that way you can take a trip and never leave the farm.:) yeah it early here in ky for them to but it want be long. the way you can tell what they are is they kind of look like a Christmas tree sponge or just check out jacks picture.he had a good day on that one.try it sometime it a good way to get out and wonder around the woods and find all kinds of stuff.:)

10. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    oops, i put the wrong name i was aiming to say look at flathunters picture

11. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Still pretty early yet here but they maybe out here in a few weeks if not sooner, good rain, good warm weather Great to make fungi grow lol.... I love eatting mushrooms(morels) can stand store bought... soak em, flour those babys up and fry em.. MMMM MMM MM but u have to eat only a few if not ur in the bathroom more that outside fishing lol... :crying:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive never had morels , but Im going to try them this year.

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Look to the second week of April as an average for central Missouri & Kansas.

14. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I wasn't looking for them or anything, but saw one growing on the side of the trail. It was actually the first one I've ever seen outside of a book :)

15. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Still early but after all this rain, the season is looking better. How cold is to cold for morels?

16. Catfish Quiver

Catfish Quiver Member

State:
    Ks, w, edg
    I agree with micus, we start looking around the 15th of Apr. ( Have a book with locations and how many for last 10 yrs or so find them same spot every year within one or two days)

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Start looking when the ground temp in the shade is 52 degrees.;)

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let me share this site I found last year. It is the most informative one that I have encountered. http://nov55.com/mr/index.html
    I love finding that BIG one! :eek:

19. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Great site thanks NetManjack

20. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yeah its getting about time here in the next few weeks to go find them, my famliy has a spot we hit year after year(private) and always produces a ton of them the whole famliy gets together and hunts them down