Mushroom Hunters

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by BIGCAT DADDY 71, Feb 3, 2006.

1. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I See Some Trees Trying To Bud Because Of The Warm January This Year, Will This Have Affect On Your Season ? I Posted A Post In Early January About The Birds, And Now I've Seen A Few Robins. If The Apple Tree Start Budding Iam Going, But It's Just Wishing I Think.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The morels usally start in here around the 15th of April.
    Nothing better than a pan full of mushrooms and a plate of crappie fillets.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bigcat Daddy, Mushrooms come up here in Ohio the same time every year. It doesn't seem to matter what the weather has been like, as in a lot of snow verses no snow, early spring verses lat spring. The only thing that seems to matter is how warm and wet it is when its time for them to grow. Then that mostly only affects the quantity and size. I found a site last year that has more information than any I have seen so far, check it out---http://nov55.com/mr/index.html

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    That is interesting, Morels to me are the best ones. Thanks

5. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I cant wait till this spring to hunt for morels. The favorite spot was hit by a F3-F4 tornado in November, it was estimated at 1/2 mile wide and it was a direct hit on the woods. It will be interesting to see how different it looks. Ive hunted this spot for the last 10 years or so and I know the woods like the back of my hand. All of the landmarks like fallen trees will be alot different, and there will probably be a ton of debri from a nearby mobile home park down the road. I dont expect to find as many this year, but it will be different. Some spots every year produce hundreds in just a 5 foot radius. I always know I am going to get them if someone else didnt beat me there. For all the years ive been hunting I still ponder what conditions causes these guys to grow. Ive given up looking for certain types of trees, or leaves on the ground, or gumballs, or hills. I just roam around burnin off all that winter fat and enjoy everything growing till the poison ivy comes up. :) Its nice having a spot thats almost 100% on givin you a few morels, just to get your eyes focused on them.

6. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i cant wait.
    does anyone have any tips on how to store mushrooms for another day

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Bread them as you normally would, egg wash, flour,salt and pepper.
    Fry them to ony half way done. We fry them in butter. Butter flavored crisco will work too. Place them on a cookie sheet on top of paper towels in single layer to cool and then place in the freezer cover in wax paper, still single layed on the cookie sheet. Once they are frozen (usally a couple of hours) you can place place them in freezer containers.
    Pop em outta the freezer in the middle of the winter or when ever and fry them up the rest of the way. They tatse like you just picked them.
    :002:

8. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    Spoonfish, Thanks for that info, I had been wondering the same thing on preserving them.

9. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    yes i do think that too that morals are the best tasting when they are all fried up with catfish.

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They are calling for around 80 degrees here on Tue. and Wed.
    Now if we can ever get some rain it should only be about a month and they will be poping up. A big ol' batch of them sure sounds good right now.....

11. WhiskerfishLou

WhiskerfishLou New Member

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    Since they run on a 5 yr cycle, things may not change for a couple more years. But it will change. Either you will not find many, or it will be near a mother load. One other way to preserve them that has worked for me is to sun dry them or use a dehydrator. They will last much longer than from a freezer. Then keep them in an air tight bag or vacuum pack them. Soak them in water till they rehydrate and fry them up as mentioned in the other posts. And as said before, there's nothing like a mess of 'shrooms to go along with your catfish. Good eating!!

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The biggest problem I see around here is the lack of moisture. We need rain! Hopefully we get some before it's time to start looking.