Mushroom Bonanza!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Sep 13, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello!:tounge_out: The other day, I mentioned in another thread that I was going on a treasure hunt, and that in a few days, I would show them what I meant. Well, this is that thread.

I grew up hunting, and eating morel mushrooms...mostly hunting lol. I've always held some fascination with all types of mushrooms. I think they are strange, and cool.

It's been wet and cool lately, and that makes for lots of fungus growing! This year, I decided to set out in search of the golden chantrell. They say they are delicious, but I don't know anyone personally who harvests them for food. I did find some, but I was still reluctant to eat a "new" wild mushroom, so I didn't bring them home. There is really only one look-alike for the chantrell that is inedible, and the worst that could happen if I ate the wrong one would be a mild gastrointestinal disturbance, not a fatal poisoning. I know the difference between the two, so early next week, I plan to try these mushrooms out for the first time.

Along the way, I found that there were tons of very photogenic mushrooms growing all around, so I captured them on my memory card to share with you. I will include several here, but I invite you to visit my profile where there is an album full of more mushrooms if you liked these.

These first two are chantrells. They can be buff colored, yellow, or orange. These were more orange than they appear in the photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These ones are an inedible look-alike.
    [​IMG]

2. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Here's some more.

These ones are coral mushrooms. They are edible, but I've never tried them. I found some in orange the other day...when I didn't have my camera. With wood-inhabiting mushrooms (like shelf mushrooms, or chicken of the woods, or these), it is said that you need to know what kind of wood they are growing on, or they can make you sick. I will just avoid those just to be safe.
    [​IMG]

This one is edible too, but they just don't seem to make me hungry. :wink:
    [​IMG]

The rest, I assume are not good to eat, but cool anyways.
    [​IMG]

3. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    These will be the final three. If ya wanna see more, you must view my album. :wink:

This is one of several types of mushrooms that exudes latex when scratched. It is OK to taste the secretions, as some are said to have unique flavors, from sweet to sour to hot peppery. Suffice it to say that I did not taste this one, nore will I any other of it's kind. "They" say alot of things lol.
    [​IMG]

I found several large flushes of these giant mushrooms. Don't know what they are. They were kinda purple, but that didn't show up very well in the pics.
    [​IMG]

I believe this one to be a destroying angel. If not, I will avoid eating it anyways.
    [​IMG]

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Very cool, thanks for sharing.

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good pics. Very nice lookiin slough in that one too. Looks like a good spot to catch em' waterin.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks for sharing ,however I think I'll just wait till Spring and get the ones I know are safe to eat. Little Grays and Yellow Morals.

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Don't be sheert! :smile2: Chantrelles are the most recognizable, easiest to find edible wild mushrooms there are. They are sought after by chefs around the world...and I want to know why. :wink: They fetch $25 or more per pound. I'm crazy about morells too, but the season is only a few weeks long. :sad2: Nothing wrong with trying new things. I'll share my experience after I cook some up. :big_smile:

8. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Thankx fer the pics Matt really interestin info. Got's some shroons growing in the back yard now Thankx to Ike...Like like them biggun's in the pic by the water...kinda growin a circular pattern...........I usually just let 'um grow...:wink:

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the post Kat.Very interesting.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Very neat pics thanks for posting. I love morels too:big_smile: they are worth their weight in gold. The rest of the shooms make me nervous though, I just don't want to die from eating the wrong shoom:eek:oooh:

11. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I'll have to over ride the part of my brain that says "Hey idiot, mushrooms are poisonous". That's why I haven't eaten the chantrelles yet. Alot of the mushrooms that are edible just don't appeal to me visually, and they don't smell that good to me either. Chantrelles smell like apricots, and are said to have a mild peach or apricot flavor, and are good in soup, creamed and spoured over chicken or pork, or sauted with butter and garlic. I must find out. I'm gonna go pick a few in the morning. If I like them, it will be kind of a boon for me because they are not sacred locally like morells. If ya find a good flush of morells, ya better keep it a secret. I'm thinking about booby trapping "my" patch next spring. :wink::smile2:

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks matt. Waitin to haer about them. Never tried or saw them that I know of.

13. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    My dad has several books on mushrooms and once in awhile he finds a new kind. Being the good daughter that I am, I let him eat them by himself the first time. If he lives then the next time I will try them.

14. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    With mushrooms, you can always :smile2::smile2: count on at least 1 good meal.

15. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    There are no stupid mushroom hunters that are still alive, and some of the smart ones are dead too. :eek:oooh::smile2:

16. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    MDC calls chanterelles "Missouri's other morel". One nice thing is they start in early June and can run into the fall. There are a variety of chanterelles in Missouri, I recommend having someone who is knowledgeable about them point out the differences. I first learned how to identify them by going on a Missouri Mycological Society hunt called "Sweat & Chanterelles". I prepare them fresh, dried, or blanched and frozen. I hunt mushrooms year-round.

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The middle one is might be Laccaria ochropurpurea, did they have purple gills?

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Way cool Hat- I have one deer roast and unc has couple pounds of morals left we are gonna be fixen here real soon to start the winter....this is a good one reps yer way bro.!

19. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Well, I just got done eating my first helping of fresh chantrelles! At least they better be....:crazy:....Kidding! They are yellowfoot, or winter chantrelles. Micus, it would be very helpful to have some body who is more knowlegable to help me identify other chants. I do know which ones to avoid, but I don't want to overlook good mushrooms. :wink:

Since we've had 6+ inches of rain the past couple of days, most of the mushrooms I found today were not in good enough condition to eat. They were soggy, water logged, beat down, and generally past their prime. I did find one good one...enough for my dish.

I've gotta say that I was very suprised by how delicious these mushrooms really are, and the texture is pleasant as well. While I was cooking them, I kept getting a mild fruity whiff. I'm reluctant to say it smells like apricots or peaches like the are described, but for a lack of something that smells like that, the description is fairly close. Just a light fruity smell, and they have a mild sweet flavor too, and the texture is firm but tender.

I just wanted to try something simple just to get a taste for the mushroom, so I cut it into large pieces (they shrink alot when cooked), and sauteed it in butter with sweet onion and a pinch of garlic powder, salt and pepper. I served it with scrambled eggs. Yummy!

Here's some pics to make you hungry. Chopped chantrelle.
    [​IMG]

The ingredients.
    [​IMG]

The sautee.
    [​IMG]

20. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    And here is the finished dish. If you haven't tried these, I think it would be worth while to do some research until you are confident you have found the right shroom, and eat some. Especially those who enjoy morells. You are missing out on another great, and delicious resource imo. I enjoyed these as much as any morells. They are a totally different thing, but equally enjoyable.
    [​IMG]