Murray Madness - 10-13-09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Patmansc, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Steve_b and I had the most incredible day on Murray yesterday! We caught 28 kats and 2 bass :)crazy:) between 8:30am and 5pm, drifting in water 35' - 42'. I believe the count was 4 white cats, 1 flattie (my 1st), about 8 channels, and the rest blues. Don't think that we caught anything smaller than 5# - the biggest was 17#, with several teens, and the flat was 10#.

The morning started out overcast & cool, and that's when then whites, blues and flat hit. We were using herring, and started out trying it whole and cut. Turns out the fish preferred cut herring all day. In the morning they just slammed the rods down, often digging the rods tips into the water! But in the afternoon the sun broke thru and it warmed up, and that's when the channel bite started. By far, they were not as aggressive on the bite, preferring to pick at the bait before they took it. At times we had to coax them a little. All of the channels were strong, healthy fish between 5 - 9 pounds, and fought really hard. Although we did pick up a few blues in the afternoon, it was mostly channels during that part of the day.

We did try shallower water down to 20', but with no hits. Seems like the fish were in and along the channel. Steve and I each caught 1 bass using rods with topwater plugs that we had brought in case we saw any stripers breaking water. Water temp was 72. The wind was very inconsistent so we often had to use the trolling motor, and that in itself provided for a learning exoerience. We were drifting with 6 rods, and 2 down rods. At certain speeds we would get bit on the down rods only, at a higher speed on the drift rods only - never both. In the morning, the first 6 fish came of off the down rods, but then I guess that we figured out the correct speed and the drift rods took over. All in all, tho, it was a most excellent day!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    And a few more pics....

Attached Files:

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    SOUNDS LIKE A SUCCESSFUL TRIP TO SAY THE LEAST:smile2:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    VERY good report, Pat, and a great trip. Congrats on that fine flattie! That's just a sing of more to come. Reps out to you and Steve!

BB in SC

5. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great report and cool pictures. Did ya'll buy the bait or catch it in a cast net? Congrats!!!

6. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Okay guys, you are looking at the birth of team Slime Time! We had a great time yesterday. Pat and I had fished in seperate boats together, but this was the first time to fish on the same boat. We had a blast, he didn't steal my samwiches and was on time! :big_smile: He did get hot and threaten to strip down to his drawers :embarassed: , but I reminded him that it was a long swim back to the truck.:cool2:

We took our bait with us, some frozen and some live. I couldn't tell that they favored one over the other. We did find that size does matter, at least to the cats yesterday.

Hey Sunbird, no drift nets were lost in the making of this event!

Man, I really needed that slimetherapy! It'll take 3 days to recover. I also have a great case of "cat rash" on my hands. Them suckers got strong jaws! I tell my son that is a badge of honor to cat fisherman.

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Congrats on a great day Pat and Steve:wink:Team Slime Time sounds good too.:cool2:

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Congrats on a great day guys !!! Great report and pics..thanks ; )

-Jim-

9. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Congratulations, Pat and Steve, on the fishing trip. It sounds like a good one. I haven't been on the water in a week or so now myself. But that is a very encouraging report.

The flu has gone, and I'm about ready to head back out.

Pat, we need to get together and set up another date for Wateree. Call me when you can. And we'll see about putting you on some fish that will put you on top of the board for the fish off.

10. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Pat, you and Steve never cease to amaze me. Outstanding post and information. Great job on a great day!!

Steve R.

11. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Great catch, got me wanting to go to Murray. Never fished for cats there so were do i start?? Dam?? Condo's?? Bomb Island?? futher up toward the river?? Help??

12. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    that is the good type of madness...:crazy: :tounge_out: :dribble:will take that over sanity anyday... :wink: congrats,good day on the water!

13. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey guys,
    I work with a man from Rowanda. He and his wife both are from there and eat fish almost every meal. They say they cannot find fresh fish here, do not know how to fish, and begged me to bring them some. I kept several under 10 pounds for them. They did not want them cleaned, have their own way of doing so. I packed them in ice and took to them this morning. The lady actually danced and cried at getting a cooler full of fresh fish.

Joe has never fished with a rod and reel. I want to take him soon, I can't wait to see him catch his first fish on a rod.

God Bless All,
    Steve

14. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    That's really something, Steve. Be sure and tell us all about how that goes. Ha - The Cat Man from Rwanda.

Get 'em hooked, Steve!

But if he likes to eat fish every meal, you'd better be sure you can stand to spend a LOT of time with this guy!:smile2:

15. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Did you guys notice the last picture in Pat's second post? That was the strangest fish, looked like he should have weighed 20 pounds from his girth, but he was VERY short for his size (kind of like some fishermen I know). I told someone that he must have ran into the dam and stunted his growth. You reckon he said DAM when he hit it?

16. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Whas that reference to short dirtected at me (I'm not short, just far away) :eek:oooh:

17. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Naw, the fish wuz purtier..........

You were further away from the pedals on my truck when you backed it in, though.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  18. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Forgot to mention that I had brought some of Pat's magic scrimps, but I had licked then left to right. Pat said if they weren't licked right to left they would not work at all. Pat would not re-lick them though, he claimed twice licked scrimps wuz like fishing with a bare hook.

19. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    looks like a pretty good day there fellas i havent been on murray in over a year and never for cats. ill have to head out there one of these days see if i can get into em

20. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    absolutely incredible night fishin!!! WTG :cool2: