Murray 12/16

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, Dec 16, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Me and Pat went to Murray today, nothing special to report just a bunch of fat blues I think 16 from 4 to 6lbs and 1 channel 8lbs.I just dont think the big boys feel like runnin the bait down anymore this year, I think its time to start anchoring.We drifted with whole 6 to 10 inch gizzard shad today and still could only catch small ones.We caught fish from 30 to 65 foot of water.The bait is alot more scattered than it was last week.Man we got a kick out of hearing the striper fisherman beat on the bottom of their boats all day long.I know beatin the bottom of the boat works for striper but my god some of em where gettin a little carryed away with it.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    We did better in the morning, got our 1st hit about 5min after getting our lines in the water, and on our 1st drift we picked up about 6 or 7 of those little piggies. Man, they were fat! It wuz fun catchin'em, but we wuz hopin to tie into some big ones. They eluded us this time, but they cain't hide forever.

3. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Was it a slow take or were the little blues slamming it. Those smaller Blues often have a very small mouth-did they have trouble getting the bait (whloe shad)?

4. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    When we used normal sized bait they where slammin it.When we used the whole shad they would chew on it till there was a small enough peice left to fit in their mouth.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    glad to hear you and pat had some luck !!:smile2: i guess no matter how much we hate to fool with anchoring (especially when it's cold) it's got to happen sometime. did you get the gizzards at greenwood or murray ?? they did not come from simpson creek did they ??

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    The gizzards where right there at the boat ramp, didnt have to go to the creek.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I heard they've been catching soon good stripers around Black's Bridge area. I would think the blue cats would be around that area also with the river running into the lake there.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Another blue cat lake...that is great for fishermen. I bet Murray will produce some real giants.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Heres some pictures from last week at murray.All the blues are this fat or fatter that you catch out of Murray.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Alright let me try again.

Attached Files:

11. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Excellent healthy fish! They are feeding up.

12. TideGuy

TideGuy New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Caught my first Blue on Lake Murray the other day (5#) - I was in middle part of main lake. I was marking bait fish @ 70 to 90 feet - typically just a few feet from the bottom. There was also an occasional band of bait @ 45'. The larger fish seemed to be scattered, but mostly were showing up above the deeper baitfish. I drifted thru trying to keep my bait just above and below the bait, tried bottom dragging one line. I also spotted pods of shad in a creek arm on the back way in. Would anchoring in this deep water 80+ feet and tight line below the baitfish be the way to go or would scattering bait on a dropoff be better - flatlining using 2 anchors?
    Would it be better to fish the creeks containing shad or the deep water?

13. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I like to double anchor and spread baits on a drop off as close to the baitfish as I can get.Anchoring in deep water especialy 80+ feet is hard to do, most of the time you can only use one anchor and if the wind is blowing it will twist and jerk the boat from side to side which will also twist and jerk your baits.As long as the creeks have shad I would fish them also.If the spot you found that had the baitfish at 70 to 90 feet dont have any trees on the bottom, you have found one hell of a spot.I would drag the baits on the bottom with 4 to 6 rods with drift rigs.I love to find places that deep with baitfish that close to the bottom.Where about are you fishing.

14. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Looks like murry is turning out to be full of healthy blues.

15. TideGuy

TideGuy New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chrisblue - Thanks for ideas. I was marking these fish in Shull Island area.
    Can you tell me what part of the lake you're catching bait. The shad I saw were pretty deep - 8 - 10 ft. I didn't spend much time looking since I already had some herring.

16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks. I catch most of my bait in Lake Greenwood.

17. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Planning to fish Murray this weekend Fri and Saturday for cats/stripers. Anyone else fishing. We will launch from the upper portion of the lake. This is my first trip to Murray. I will post results--good or bad.

18. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I assume your goin with Chris right.Did you get my PM?

19. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Affirmative Chrisblue. If you can make it down, I am sure we can save you a cold one and a place at the dinner table. We will stay Thur and Fri night to return Saturday afternoon. Got your PM. Give me a call if you can join us.

20. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    They were catching some good striper around the Black Bridge area in the last few weeks.