Murphys law and big bucks - deer hunting

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeffw51, Oct 5, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i have had some crazy things happen right at the moment of truth,just when i think i have a slam dunk shot at a big buck,some stupid blunder or force of nature interferes.i was bowhunting in nebraska over a standing corn field at about 9am i heard deer comming thru the corn(i love that sound)anyway, it was 5 bucks and they stopped and fed directly under my stand.all of the bucks were small,but i noticed they kept looking back behind them.after about ten minutes a beautiful 10 point 150 class buck appears out of the corn and slowly feeds towards them,and if he passes like them ill have a 5 yard shot.as he gets twenty yards out i start to draw my bow,at that same moment i hear a dog barking at a neibhors farm,it scared the deer so bad they all left taking big boy with them!

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeff we use a trail camera over shelled corn, soybeans and salt. I have over three hundred pictures of everything from Bambi's to excellent quality deer. There is a deer we call "Bullwinkle" that has frequented this site for the last two years. We figured him at a 5 year old the first year. If he's around this year he will be grey muzzled and God knows what kind of a rack. Either nothing or a heart stopper. I have a picture of him someplace pounding this eight point buck in the ground like a sumo wrestler, does in the background watching. When he feeds at that shelled corn there is nothing else in his way. Of course come season he has gone to Tahiti to lay on the beach until after late season. The poachers know he is here, and he has eluded them so far. We'll see what this season brings.

3. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Jeff, I know how you feel. Last year I was in a tree stand sitting over some corn. I heard something coming from behind me. I turn my head ever so slowly. Then I see it, it's a big buck. Big enough that I didn't want to look at his rack in fear of buck fever. I can't remove my bow from the holder because he was looking around. He finally circled in front of me and was behind a briar patch. So, it's now or never. I reached for my bow and the danged holder creaked when I removed the bow. Off he went in a hurry. He didn't flag but he didn't want to find out what the noise was either. I got busted several times last year. One was by a doe with a buck 7yds from me. The doe saw me but not the buck. He was young but had an inside spread of at least 20in. She turned and ran without flagging and he was right behind her.

4. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had my 20 yard pin on a ol mossy horn couple years ago when out of friggin nowhere Postbeetles red hawk coming screaming right at me!!! I dam near fell out of tree and when I figured out it was after a squirrel on the same tree as me the buck I swear gave me that " I see you dumbass look" and blew thru his nose to make sure no other deer in 10 miles would come by me he lefted!!!

5. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    a few years back i borrowed a friends rifle,mine had a crack in the stock and i had sent it back to the factory.i had shot this gun before and had actually sighted it in myself.he assured me that nobody had touched it since i sighted it in.the next morning i had seen alot of small bucks in the morning ,and at around noon i began to doze off.i saw the sun gleem off of something, and looked up to see a monster 8 pointer walking across afield about a 100 yrds away,i whistled him stopped broadside easy shot,squeezed the trigger bullet hit dirt two foot high and to the left,i looked at the gun and noticed the scope was hanging on by only one mount flopping loose on the gun!nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooo!

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've had so many accounts of stuff like this happening. it's wierd, it always seems to happen on the biggest bucks. or when it's really important to you. I shot at a monster 10 point once and my arrow went hard left. i did everything right, and my arrow rest broke..i've had bucks run off by dogs, coyotes, & people. all at full draw waiting for the deer to take one more step. dis-heartening does'nt explain it....

7. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i had a buck come into my stand he wasnt a big buck but i decided to shoot him,he was two yards from the base of my tree.he was so close it was hard to shoot iwas aiming straight down.well i did not know it but my grunt call was also hanging staight down in between my bowstring and my rest.when i shot it nearly took my head off ,the grunt call went flying out into the corn and my arrow missed by two feet,and the buck ran off,i now tuck my call out of the way before shooting.

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Opening day of last muzzle loader season I was hunting a place that I hadn't hunted in several years. I hadn't done any scouting and didn't want to walk up the mountain in the dark looking for a place to hunt and spook any deer that were there. I decided to sit by a tree at the edge of a field that tapered to a point along some planted pines until I could see to do some still hunting. I had been told that there was a big 10 pointer working the area. Right at first light a big Doe came across from my left in the middle of the field. She stopped right in front of me at about 35 yards. I needed meat so I figured she would do just fine. I fired and only the cap went off, not the charge! She turned and ran into the pines. I pulled out my capper and was trying to get another cap on the nipple but it wouldn't go. I had my reading glasses under three layers of cloths so I was working by feel. Everything seemed fine but I still couldn't get the cap on. While I was fumbling around I looked up and saw the big 10 pointer, with heavy beams and a 20 inch spread, following the same path the Doe came in on. I was franticly trying to re-cap the gun and he was getting closer. Finally he stopped at the same place the Doe did; perfect 35 yard shot, but I still couldn't get the cap on. I was freaking!!! Instead of turning left and following the Doe, he lost her trail and turned right and started walking strait to me. I had the gun upside down trying to shake the old cap off, if it was still in the action, and cussin' to my self, and he was getting closer! Finally at 15 yards he picked his nose up off the trail and saw me. Damn, busted!!! All I could do was look him in the eye, and in my most disgusted voice say, " Run you S.O.B., RUN! And that's just what he did. After digging out my reading glasses, I found that the bottom of the old cap had stuck under the nipple, where I couldn't feel it, but kept the new one from going on. I never saw him again.

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Billie, I'm glad to hear someone else has trouble seeing those dang little caps; especially without your glasses. Talk about blind leading the blind! A few years ago I was blackpowder hunting in one of my favorite tripod stands in a really cozy, secluded spot. Saw a few small ones, then a really good buck comes through. He's got a lot of brush between us, but I can see the shoulder real good. He's either a good 6pt or a medium size 8pt. Anyway, I pull up, aim, pull the trigger, & ......it sounded like a 22 rifle went off!! No big "kaboom"; no smoke. Just "ka-tow"! The deer doesn't spook; he just eased off into the thick stuff & vanished. I'm trying my best to get re-capped. Finally, in disgust, I just sit there to compose myself. After a few minutes my husband comes easing up behind me & whispers, "Did you shoot?" I said, in a very loud voice, "I TRIED to!" I then told him the cap fired, but not the powder. We went back to camp, & every shot after that was perfect.
    I really think the better bucks have some sort of special mojo that protects them. Maybe it's that Indian spirit we always hear about....or, maybe it's MURPHY!!!!

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I spent 3 years in a row playing tag with a big buck in the public park I have a police permit to archery hunt. He's always shown up 15 min before end of legal time and always seems to keep the thick brush between me and him. I dont have a tree stand and if I did, it wouldnt work the trees are very tall and theres not lower branches. itd be like hiding on a phone pole. anyways. theres a path leading to a clear cut for utility lines that had tracks in it. and he had a rub line along this trail and a small spring. I was in a blow down surrounded by the thickest stuff on 3 sides. I put a scent bomb out on this trail thinking he'd take the easy route. WRONG! he crawled part way thru the thick stuff which if Id kept still, would litterally put him in my lap. I tried turning slowly to get the angle for a shot but he bolted out the way he came like he was part rabbit. I didnt see him last year. Im afraid that one of the poachers got him. I did find a carcass that was quartered with all the meat stripped off it dumped in the area I see him. No skull just torso. I pray that Im wrong so I can continue our dance on saturday. I havent been to that park yet this year. I save this park for when small game season starts on the local game lands since all the deer leave the gamelands until dark. I saw one doe and nearly ran over a 4 or 6 pointer leaving there the other day (he was broadside couldnt see if it had brow tines.). they were leaving private land going onto gameland property.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Murphy's law is alive and well here and particularly strong yesterday! I had a 150 class buck come in to my stand. He was very skiddish as the wind was ripping. He stayed to cover but there were several small open areas along his route. He looked like a soldier making mad dashes across the open areas going from cover to cover. The open areas were never big enough to get the right lead for a running shot and didn't want to chance just wounding him. He'll still be there later. I got a nice one later for a set of rattling antlers. He'll be back rifle season! Suuuuuure is frustrating though!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh::angry::smile2:

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I feel bad for Murphy. He gets cussed at so much but its not his fault. He just named that annoying phenomenon.